This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With all of the sickness going around on campus, sick days are pretty much inevitable at this point. Even though sick days can be pretty miserable, there are some steps you can take to make the most of them and be on your way to feeling better fast!

1. Drink lots of fluids. When you’re sick, it is essential that you stay hydrated. Drinking things like tea, water, orange juice, Gatorade, Pedialyte and other things infused with electrolytes will help your body recover. If you have the nasty stomach bug going around and can’t quite stomach some of these drinks, at least try sucking on ice cubes to get some fluids in you.

2. Take a hot shower. While the last thing you want to do might be to shower, a hot shower will help loosen up your sinuses and chest if you have a cold. If you’re feeling achy with flu like symptoms, it will also help ease your muscles.

3. Make sure to eat. Even if you don’t have much of an appetite, try to make sure you’re eating small snacks to keep your energy up. For a sore throat, soup is always a good go-to meal. For a stomach bug, eat Saltines, or stick to the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Just try to avoid sugary foods as they will not help your body to heal.

4. Take regular naps. This is a no-brainer, but oftentimes the best way to feel better is to catch up on sleep. It isn’t a great idea to sleep the day away, but certainly make sure you’re getting the rest your body needs.

5. Keep everything you need by your side at all times. Chances are you’ll want to stay in your bed or on the couch for most of the day, so gather everything you might need and have it close by so you won’t have to keep getting up. This includes tissues, cough drops, drinks, food, your computer, etc.

6. Be respectful of you roommates/suitemates/housemates and quarantine yourself if need be. The last thing you want is to get everyone you live with sick! Even though you’re feeling crummy, try to be aware of the people you live with and do your best not to spread your germs around the living space.  

Here’s to hoping you stay healthy, collegiettes!

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!
Haley is a student at Clark University studying Management with plans to pursue an MBA. On campus you can find Haley working as an assistant in the President's Office, or dancing (like nobody's watching!) with Clark University Dance Society. Beyond campus she loves her cat, her cousins, and chocolate. Her favorite color is pink, and she could watch The Mindy Project for days. Haley is looking forward to being a part of the Her Campus Clark team!
Ciara is a student at Clark studying Political Science as well as Cultural Studies & Communication. She spends her time running around between classes, working at both the Campus Store and Annie's Clark Brunch and trying to figure out what to do with her life after she graduates this May. When Ciara is not juggling her busy schedule, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family, binge-watching Netflix (specifically The Office) and reminiscing her semester abroad in Ireland. Her favorite color is green and her guilty pleasure TV shows are The Bachelor and Dance Moms. Ciara is thrilled to be a Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Kelly Rourke! Be sure to follow her daily shenanigans via Twitter and Instagram @ckils23 HCxo
Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!
Hello everyone, my name is Kassie and I'm a Sophomore at Clark University. I am currently a double major in Psychology and Art. However, I am looking to do a fifth year Masters program in Education. My final goal is to become either an art teacher or an art therapist.When I'm not in Worcester, Ma I reside in Connecticut. In my spare time I hangout with my friends, paint, knit, or watch movies.