This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

As a freshman in college it’s easy to get ahead of yourself. Less than three months ago you were at the top of the food chain, and here you are right back at the bottom. It can be confusing, but it’s also one the most exciting times of your life. Here are some of the things we recommend specifically to Clark freshmen:

DON’T:

• Wear your lanyard around your neck. I was guilty of this and I am hardly even embarrassed because it was so convenient to have your student ID and key in the same place, but it is hands down the EASIEST way to spot a freshman. Invest in a card case that sticks to the back of your phone.

• Put up a front. It can seem tempting to “reinvent” yourself and start new, which is totally understandable, but don’t overdo it by taking on a whole new persona.
  • Buy your books full price. You don’t have to drop $300 on a book for a class that you’re taking just to fulfill a perspective. Rent them from the bookstore or online. Websites like www.slugbooks.com are great for finding good deals.
  • Get EMS’d. Clark’s student population is small, and word most likely travels faster than it did at your high school. This ‘don’t’ is important in terms of your safety as well. Although we don’t condone underage drinking we know that it is still prevalent, so know your limits!
  • Be loud and push tables together in the Caf. This is worse than freshmen blocking the hallways in high school.
  • Skip class. If you calculate it, each class costs around $200-300, and whether it’s you, your parents, or your loans paying for those classes, it is definitely not worth it to skip.
  • Let your GPA slip. After all, you are here to learn.
  • Get the ice cream in the Caf. Not worth it.
  • Stay hung up on high school friends. It’s one thing to facetime them every now and then, but it’s another thing to dismiss the idea of new friends because you feel that no one could ever replace your friends from home.
  • Stress about not having declared a major. You still have two years to make a choice, so if you’re worried about falling behind, try to fulfill all your PLS requirements until you find your major.
  • Get jealous of your friends at state schools. Chances are, you’re getting the better education and their lives are not as exciting as their Instagram accounts make them seem.
  • Disrespect upperclassmen. People talk, and if you are rowdy or rude at a party people will remember you.

DO:

• Get the Pizzaritas from the late night menu at the Bistro. But don’t go overboard. These are a treasured food known only to Clark students. Going to the Bistro after going out is also a great way to meet new people.
  • Take advantage of the gym and fitness classes. They’re free and fun, so why not?
  • Get a job. You will run out of money much faster than you think. My bank account balance dropped below $25 three weeks into college and I had to learn how to budget quickly.
  • Get to know professors. Take advantage of their office hours. Ninety percent of the time they are more than willing to help out and even offer extra credit assignments. Sometimes getting to know a professor is the difference between a C+ and B-.
  • Take the Clark bus to Boston. Every other Saturday there’s a free bus to Boston. Take it. Clark can really turn into a bubble when you don’t get off campus enough and Boston is too close to make excuses.
  • Join clubs. This one sounds annoying, I know. I never considered myself a “club” person but then I signed up for Her Campus my Sophomore year and realized that it was the perfect creative outlet for me. There are clubs for every hobby you can think of.
  • SLEEP. It can be tempting to stay up until 3am with your new friends every night, but 12PM classes will start to feel like 8AMs and your days will be completely out of whack.
  • Call your parents. They miss you more than you know!
  • Keep your door open when you’re in your room. This is the easiest way to meet new people.

And finally, here are a few other things we thought you might find useful:

• The “Freshman 15” is REAL no matter how active you were in high school or how good your eating habits are. Pizzaritas are addictive and the Caf has donuts every Weekend.
  • Not everyone you meet will be your best friend. The first few weeks and even months are about finding yourself and your friends. Sift through as many people as you need until you find the group that feels right.
  • Worcester is a place where you have to be smart about your safety, so be careful, take Escort, and never walk alone at night.
  • You might not have anything in common with your roommate and that’s ok. If you aren’t super close, don’t feel pressured to force the relationship.
  • Stress is real and it can be scary. Sometimes college can feel like responsibility is hitting you all at once but Clark offers counseling, and yoga classes can even help!
  • You’ll hear a lot about Spree Day, so you should know that it’s a random day in April on which classes are cancelled and the whole campus has a carnival/party. Although it’s meant to be a surprise, you will most likely hear about it beforehand. Plan accordingly and remember it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Good luck to the Freshman Class – Clark University 2020!

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!