Kesha Performed At The Grammys And It Was So Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Kesha performed at the Grammys last weekend and it was amazing. The emotional performance had many in tears by the end.

Kesha – Praying @ 60th Grammy Awards Performance #GRAMMYs pic.twitter.com/OS5xRF1HPV

— snap: thedjjei (@thedjjei) January 29, 2018

And it seemed like everybody loved it.

Kesha crushedddd the Grammys. A v powerful and inspiring performance. Plus it was really amazing to see so many influencial and brilliant women up there with her. Yesssss Kesha ❤️?

— CHARLI XCX (@charli_xcx) January 29, 2018

YOU ALL WILL NOT SLANDER KESHA ROSE. The woman was on the verge of tears performing in front of an industry that dragged her through the mud for a decade. She deserves nothing less than RESPECT. #GRAMMYs

— ?Puthy? (@ChampagnePuthy) January 29, 2018

Watching #GRAMMYs. Kesha’s song “Praying” and her performance blew me away. Powerful. Godspeed.

— Maria Shriver (@mariashriver) January 29, 2018

Kesha’s newest album, Rainbow, her first new release since Warrior in 2012. Her hiatus was due largely to her civil lawsuit against her producer Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald. She filed in October of 2014 that he had sexual and physically abused her. No criminal charges were filed.

Since then, Kesha has continued to fight. A court denied her request to be free from a recording contract with Dr. Luke, and she was so prevented from releasing music outside of said contract.

“Praying,” was released as a single from Rainbow in July. There is no similarities to the old-Kesha who was popular for “Tik Tok” and “We R Who We R.” Instead, “Praying” is a ballad, so powerful that not only was Kesha emotional throughout her performance but so were we.

“When i wrote praying, with ben abraham and ryan lewis, i just felt as if i had gotten a huge weight off of my shoulders,” Kesha tweeted

i just want to say that i needed this song in a very real way, im so proud and nervous and overwhelmed to be performing it at the grammys on sunday, and if you need it i hope this song finds you. ??

— kesha (@KeshaRose) January 27, 2018

Rainbow and her performance at the Grammy’s definitely signals a new era for Kesha, and I for one am ready and in full support of it.

Header Image: Kevin Winter

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.