How to Have the Best Gala Experience Possible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

For anyone who keeps hearing talk about Gala and has no idea what it means or what it’s about, we’re here to help! Gala is basically a giant celebration of the many different cultures represented in the Clark community through dance and music. The whole event is planned and put on by the Clark University International Students Association. It takes place in the Kneller Gymnasium on a huge stage and is one of the most well attended events of the school year. Since Gala may be a new concept for some people, we’ve put together a list of a few things that you need to know about it if you are attending for the first time.  

1. Get there early to make sure you get a good spot in line.

When we said it’s one of the most well attended events of the year, we weren’t kidding! Make sure to get in line early so that you can secure a great viewing spot. The line has been known to go out the doors of the Kneller toward the AC and even go through the AC and out the door on the other side. Seriously. If you’re going with a group of friends, you can switch off who has to stand in line to make it better for everyone. It starts at 7pm, and we recommend lining up around 6pm or even earlier.

2. Be prepared for a long show.

This year, there are about 30 countries performing in Gala, which means it will be a very long show! Each dance is about two and a half minutes and there are interludes in between from the Gala hosts. There will also be a few speakers throughout the evening that add time as well. While it is a long night, it won’t seem like it when you’re caught up in the amazing performances!

3. Try to get a seat in the bleachers that face the stage.

There is typically seating on both sides of the stage and directly in front of the stage. You’ll be able to see from wherever you sit, but the best seats are the ones right in front of the stage. Try to get spots there to ensure that you won’t have to crane your neck and get to experience all of the dances head on.  

4. Bring something to snack on in your pocket or your purse.

While food and drinks technically aren’t allowed, it’s worth it to sneak a snack in with you so you don’t get hangry halfway through! Just bring something small like a granola bar and you’ll be all set. Drinks are definitely not allowed though, so don’t push your luck trying to bring one in.

5. Be prepared for a high-energy environment and crowd.

There are so many students involved in Gala, which mean lots of friends come to support everyone in the show. The crowd is always high-energy and LOUD! While this may not be your thing, it is part of the whole Gala experience. Be prepared for some high-volume and high-energy audience participation. 

All of these tips are good to know to prepare yourself for this wonderful event! If you’d rather participate in the fun from the comfort of your dorm or apartment, there is also a live stream available online. All in all, you should definitely go at least once in your Clark career as it is an event that is so unique to Clark! Check out the commercial for this year’s Gala below, and good luck to everyone involved!

For additional information, check out the Facebook event.

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!