This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Midterms have come and gone and we are now in midst of the final stretch of the semester. Deadlines and finals are approaching, while term papers are in progress. There’s very little time for us to be slacking, so utilizing our time to the fullest is key.

One of the first aspects of college that I have been exposed to during my first semester is EXHAUSTION. The first few weeks, I walked around campus as dead as a zombie. Classes, homework, work, volunteering, clubs; all of my responsibilities were eating me alive. Every afternoon I had free, I would rejoice… and climb right into bed. I quickly became victim to Nap Traps. And yes, from a first person point of view, I can tell you that “Nap Traps” are in fact REAL. According to Urban Dictionary, a Nap Trap is “the viscous cycle of taking naps during the day and therefore being unable to fall asleep at night, which in turn lead to the need for more naps.” Nap Traps come with an abundance of grogginess, fatigue, procrastination and unproductivity. Sounds fun, right? Last week I decided that enough is enough and to fight this evil curse. I’m now in the middle of my second week still going strong and I’m feeling the best I’ve ever felt since school started.

If you tend to fall victim to the evil Nap Trap, don’t worry, you got this.

Here are some tips and tricks that can help you stay awake all day!

1.) Go to sleep & wake up at the same time everyday Source

This will allow your body to activate and set it’s internal clock. After about a week of practicing this, your body will find it’s rhythm. You’ll feel significantly more rested when you wake up and more tired right before bed. Just the way it should be. This can also come in handy if you ever forget to set your alarm the night before! This may or maynot have happened to me Monday morning…

Tips:

• Turn your phone on airplane mode when you sleep in order to disregard those 3am group chat notifications.
  • Experiment with Sleep Cycle apps to analyze your sleeping patterns and the hours you’re getting in.

2.) Wake up & smell the eggs, bacon, grits.. SAUSAGE

Source

No but really, they aren’t lying when they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I tended to skip breakfast or just grab a granola bar when I was caught in my snooze-fests. Making sure you sit down and enjoy a nutritious meal is essential to waking your body up. To make it more fun, meet up with your friends from time to time for a breakfast date at your local diner. I just tried Annie’s Clark Brunch for the first time last Wednesday and it was glorious. The staff and Annie herself are extremely down to Earth and make you feel like you’re part of the family. I walked out with a FULL stomach and a portion of my meal wrapped up to go, despite my total bill being only $5.08. The pancakes are bigger than my head! Inexpensive costs + good food = a smile on my face to start the day.

3.) Move your limbs

Source

“WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT??” exclaimed me, 2 weeks ago. Exercise is one of the best ways to defeat fatigue and is overall good for your health (obviously). Even if you feel like you can’t fit it in your schedule, you probably can! I’ve been going to the gym between those awkward time slots between classes and meetings and it’s been working out great! Some days there is just no time for a workout class or gym sesh. But even on those busier days, I suggest you schedule in a good 10-20 mins of something extremely light. Rather it be a walk around the city or a full body stretch.

4.) Drink more water

Source

Self explanatory. If you’re not doing anything, drink water. The first thing I do before getting out of bed in the morning is down a bottle of water. No matter what happens in your morning rush, at least you’re hydrated (-:

5.) Study somewhere smart

Source

Yes, I’m calling out all of you who claim that you “accidently” fell asleep studying, while you’re laying in bed with your books and laptop balanced on your ribcage. You played yourself, and so have I. In order to focus and stay awake while completing work, hop off your bed! Or at least sit up. Well lit places like the library and a coffee shop are great. Especially because the pressure of being in public forces you to at least look productive.

6.) Start to journal

When you have a bit of free time and you’re tempted to lay down… journal instead! I recently started one and titled it my “wellness” journal; where I plan to keep track of my mental and physical health…along with random rants and thoughts.“Maybe I should look this up online, maybe I should schedule an appointment with so and so, It would be cool if we did this”. Seeing my thoughts on paper makes it easier for me to bring them to reality. It is also a good way to reflect on your day. Perhaps replace your 11pm Netflix binge with a soothing activity like so.

7.) Cut back on caffeine!

Source

I know, I know. I love coffee too. But we don’t really need that 3rd cup. Cutting coffee out of my diet wasn’t an intention of mine last week, but it just sorta happened. I was getting proper rest and didn’t feel the urge to sip on any. I haven’t had it since but when I have my next cup, I’ll make sure it’s my only cup of the day, as an excess amount makes me 10x more anxious and irritable.

I wouldn’t be human if I said naps are a terrible thing. Naps can be our savior at times of need. Keep  in mind that it is suggested that we don’t take naps longer than 25-30mins in the middle of the day. While browsing on the internet, I actually found a scientific study on “coffee naps”. Perhaps next week I may try one myself?

Until next time, cheers to fighting Nap Traps!

Julia is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Clark University. She is currently a sophomore who is pursuing a bachelor's degree in International Development, along with a minor in Education and a concentration in Africana Studies. Julia aspires to travel the world and all it encapsulates. When she is not writing for Her Campus, Julia can be found in nature, listening to music, indulged in a good book at a local cafe or drowning in her coursework at the library.  
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!