Have Your Healthiest Semester Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Spring semester is a great time to start fresh and what better way to do that than with some tips to help you stay healthy? Read on for ideas that will help you get and stay healthy throughout the tough Winter months. 

Food

Speaking from personal experience, finding quality food in the dining hall can be unreasonably hard. When running from class to class, grabbing a quick fix seems like the right way to go, but all those meals consisting of processed carbs and junk food will add up (Yes, the Freshman 15 IS a thing). Over time you’ll learn what to eat and what not to eat, but for those whose dining halls have very little option, one piece of advice that can help is stick to basics. That means not going for breaded or fried chicken, but instead going for grilled chicken and other lean meats. If you’re a cheese lover, try to lower your dairy intake to smaller portions. Avoid sauces and dressings, like Ranch, that are packed with hidden calories.

When you grab a plate, try filling half of it up with veggies and 1/4 with carbs (avoid breads with enriched wheat flour listed as the first ingredient) and the other 1/4 with a lean protein. If you find yourself struggling with weight despite your healthy and proactive efforts, another thing that leads to weight gain is alcohol. All those sugary drinks are filled with a huge amount of calories, so try to avoid fruit flavored drinks and limit your alcohol intake. Making smart choices about what you eat and drink can also boost your immune system and will help you avoid sickness.

Hydration

I know we’ve all heard the “make sure you drink 8 glasses of water a day” spiel more than enough, but most dieticians cannot express how important it is to get enough water during the day. With Winter finally here, you might not be motivated to fill up your water bottle every few hours (let alone get out of bed) but I promise dehydration is not worth it! When our bodies are running low on water, our organs steal moisture from our skin in order to function properly – this means that when you’re not getting enough H20 your skin is going to look duller and drier, which is already an issue during the winter. If you’re not staying hydrated, chances are you’re also having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Keep a glass of water next your bed so you can have a few sips before you go to sleep and when you wake up. It’s also important to start the day with a glass of water (I sometimes add a tablespoon or 2 of Apple Cider Vinegar for an extra boost of energy). Remember that it can take days to hydrate, so don’t think that chugging a huge bottle of water will instantly hydrate you – you should constantly be sipping on a bottle of water throughout the day. Invest in a good water bottle that you’ll want to carry around all day.

Vitamins

If you’ve ever found yourself wandering down the vitamin and supplement section of the grocery store wondering why anyone could ever need any of that stuff, you’re not alone. I was never a huge fan of supplements until I started to educate myself on the importance of getting enough nutrients. Most of us who eat an omnivorous diet get our required daily nutrients from the foods we eat, but sometimes that’s not enough (especially if you have a vitamin deficiency or you follow a vegetarian/vegan diet). Getting the proper amount of vitamins can affect your overall health as well as your mood and energy, so make sure you set a healthy habit of taking a vitamin every morning. Stick to organic brands if you can, which you can find at your local health store, and make sure you’re taking vitamins aimed for your age group and gender (different genders require different levels of vitamins). So if you’re a teenage girl, you should be looking for vitamins such as Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Iron because those are nutrients we tend to be lacking in. Tip: taking vitamins on an empty stomach can give you a killer stomach ache, so make you’re taking them with at least a piece of fruit in the morning.

Remedies

When the cold weather rolls around getting sick is basically inevitable. If you have a weak immune system invest in some herbal teas that boast their “immune boosting” qualities. Ingredients such as Echinacea are good to look for when looking for a tea that will help you fight viruses. Other “immune boosting” medicines that promise to cut the duration of your cold in half usually work if you take them early on in your sickness, but the best thing you can do for yourself is drink lots of tea, make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin C whether you’re sick or not, try to break a sweat at the gym if you’re feeling up for it, hydrate and get plenty of sleep.

Sleep

Getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep per night in college isn’t easy. If you constantly find yourself cramming homework sessions late at night or staying up until 3am watching Netflix, your body is going through a lot more work than it needs to to keep you awake during the day. Sleep has a huge effect on our bodies. It can affect your mood, your skin, and your immune system. People who sleep less tend to lead less active lifestyles and when you’re sleeping in every morning, you’re guaranteeing yourself a less productive day ahead.

Exercise

Motivating yourself to get to the gym is hard as it is, and Winter definitely doesn’t make it any easier. When it’s snowing and blizzarding out it might seem impossible to get to the gym everyday, but you should aim to sweat at least 30 minutes everyday, and if your schedule doesn’t allow that then try for 3 workouts a week.

Utilizing these tips will help set you up for your healthiest semester yet!

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!