Confessions of an Annie’s Waitress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to work at Clark’s most popular brunch spot? Read on to find out directly from Annie’s waitress, Jess, what goes on behind the scenes at Annie’s and how to have the best brunch experience possible!

We know you by your food order

I swear the space in your brain where names are paired with faces is occupied by food and faces in the brain of an Annie’s worker. Is your name Sam? Great! Will we remember that? Probably not. Will we refer to you as “Veggie Egg and Cheese on Rye” later? 100%

It helps you to help us

You’re ordering a Bacon Egg and Cheese sandwich? Awesome! But please don’t say you want a “meat egg and cheese” sandwich. I won’t know what type of meat you want, and I want to make sure you get what you ordered. The same goes for saying you want 2 eggs and toast and then moving on to a muffin before we can ask how you want your eggs and what type of toast. Nothing drains our patience fast enough than having to ask a ton of questions and stop you so that we can write the slip in the right order.

Tell me if you are a vegetarian

Sometimes the homefries have bacon mixed into them, or another item you wouldn’t expect has meat in it. To avoid any potential mishaps just mention it to your server if you have any allergies or dietary restrictions!

If you’re nice you will get free food

Occasionally something will be made twice, an order was written down wrong, or something was made incorrectly. Then we have extra food. If you’re there and a good table we will give it to you.

The silver wear is always wet for a reason

We wash everything by hand and then run it through a sanitizer. If your silverware has some water on it, it’s likely it was just cleaned!

Tipping is super important

I don’t get a paycheck and the workers split all the tips at the end of the day. If you don’t tip me, I can’t pay my tuition. I understand the food is cheep and I don’t want to complain, but anything y’all can give makes our day. Getting good tip can turn a terrible shift into a great day, and we remember it the next time you come in.

We have lunch

I really didn’t know this until I started working at Annie’s. Most Clarkies don’t come in for lunch but it’s fantastic. There are really great sandwiches and burgers, the soup is incredible and we can really make anything.

You can get a store credit tally

A few Clarkies have thoughtful (and generous!) parents who drop off large amounts of money for them at Annie’s. Then those kids have a running tally we just take money out of on our board. If your parents are looking for a gift for your birthday, have them give you Annie’s credit! They can even mail a check.

It breaks Annie’s heart when you don’t box your food

She loves her Clarkies and she always worries that there was something wrong with it or that people didn’t like how it tasted. If we offer a box just take it. Pass it on to a friend or reheat it for dinner. If you’re against Styrofoam, we also have tinfoil we can use so don’t let that stop you. 

Jess is a Senior at Clark University who hails from Detroit, Michigan. She spends her time at college studying Psychology and Culture Studies & Communication, and trying to get involved in everything she can on campus! Jess wears a number of hat's around campus such as, President of the Student Activities Board, Co-President of Radio of Clark University, an intern for the Student Leadership and Programming Office, waitress at Annies Clark Brunch, and the Events Director for Clark's chapter of Her Campus! In her spare time Jess enjoys listening to music, reading, exploring Worcester, and spending time with friends!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!