Campus Celebrity Jessica Bond Takes Clark By Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.
This week our Campus Celebrity is none other than junior, Jessica Bond! We had the chance to talk to Jess about her seemingly endless list of groups she’s involved in, her friends and her home state of Michigan!

Tell us about what you’re involved in on campus.

Where do I begin? I’m currently the Vice President of the Student Activities Board (S.A.B) and Vice President of Radio of Clark University (ROCU). I am a second year Resident Advisor in Dana Hall. This semester I started as a Peer Mentor for Student Accessibility Services. When I have time I mentor at St. Peter’s Church and participate with Intervarsity. I also work for Dining Services as a Co-Student Projects Coordinator and I just started working at Annie’s Clark Brunch when they reopened this fall! I also participate in random events and tasks around Clark, for example I’m currently working with Athletics on the Midnight Mayhem basketball game, which I’m super excited for! I also take 5 courses. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but those are the main activities. 

Wow that’s a ton! How did you get to be involved with so many different clubs?

I was a pretty involved student in high school and have always loved planning events and working to build environments where students want to engage and build memories. Community and connections are what matter most to me. When I came to college my freshman year RA (Maya Fox) spoke to me about RHA which, although I’m no longer in involved with it, was a great way for me to get connected and start my involvement for Clark. She’s also what motivated me to become an RA. As for SAB, after a Big Prize Bingo second semester they were advertising for new members. My closest friends and I all went up to join. Our second year (technically second semester) in SAB was right after everyone else in the club graduated, besides our president, Jacob. This really forced us all to jump into programing. It has lead to an incredible experience with campus programing and a club with really wonderful people who I feel so honored to know. 
 As for ROCU and come to think of it, many of my other involvements, a lot of it was people inviting me to join and I always said yes! It’s pretty unconventional but I love it. Come to think of it nothing I’m actively involved in was a club I engaged with at my first club fair! (laughs) 
Right at the beginning of my first year, I ran for a spot on Student Council but didn’t win the election. I also tried out The Scarlet and it didn’t pan out, so while I had a different idea what I wanted to be involved in I’m so glad things worked out the way I did. It’s never to late to change your involvement or get engaged with something new! I couldn’t imagine be so happy involved in anything else :) 

What time management skills do you use to keep yourself on track?

Well I’m still learning what works! I’m a very visual person so I find a need to write everything down. This year I started using an Erin Condern Planner (Thanks to Savannah Sanford’s Suggestion, see her post about it HERE) and that helps SO much with keeping all my classes, assignments, meetings and events on track. I also always have a running to-do list going which I keep in my planner. I tend to always have a notebook with me!
When I have a busy day I plan everything out by the hour, even little tasks to make sure I get everything completed. This has become very helpful for things because it allows me to start to have a better idea of how I spend my time and how long it will take me to do different activities. 
When I’m planning out a paper or events or whatnot I like to write everything out on a white board (usually in a library study room). Having everything written out allows me to get everything out of my scattered brain and somewhere I can visualize it. 

You’re living every Clarkie’s dream and working at Annie’s. How do you like being a part of the new set-up?

It’s been a wild ride! It feels so special to be involved with a Clark Legacy but man it really is as crazy as it looks! (laughs) Anne and Megan are wonderful people and care so much, they make it so easy to work for them – even if most of the days I’m there it’s because I get called in early in the morning! It has been great to get to know the other Clarkies that work there as well. I also really enjoy the fast paced nature of it – Annie’s isn’t my first restaurant job, and I really love working in the industry and interacting with people! I love it when my friends and other Clarkies come in. It’s also been so interesting to get to know the Worcester community more and the stories I hear are incredible. It can be kinda rocky at times and everyone is still getting used to the new rhythm but it’s been such a wonderful experience I wouldn’t have it any other way.

What’s your favorite thing about being in New England?

This is a hard question only because there’s so much I could pick! Probably Clark University because being here has given me a great opportunity to get to know the region, from taking the commuter rail into Boston, to skiing with the outing club in Vermont, to traveling with friends to Maine or CT. It’s also given me the freedom to explore my opinions about different issues outside of the environment I grew up in.
Oh, and I love the mountains!!! Every time I go for a drive pretty much everywhere I’m totally consumed in the beauty of the landscape and of New England as a whole – even though my friends look at me like I’m crazy and say “They’re just hills”

What do you miss about Michigan?

Definitely my family. It’s hard to be away from them when special things are going on – for example both of my younger siblings are also pretty involved (shocker) and it’s hard to miss their events. But we discovered Periscope this year and that app is superb! And I miss Tim Horton’s of course.

What’s your favorite event you’ve ever been a part of?

This is probably the hardest question! So first of all let me lead by saying how much I love not only every event I do but also attending other programs and shows put on by Clarkies. I’m not an athlete or an actor but I really enjoy attending those events – and it’s fun to occasionally enjoy a event without planning anything for it. 
Lately I’ve really been loving ROCU’s Cafe nights (every other Wednesday!) because it’s a great way to take a break mid week and hang out with some of the best people at Clark. Looking back on my SAB time I really loved when we did Casino Night my first year. It was one of the last ones we did with our Seniors and my friends and I all learned how to deal cards and we danced and had fun and had our first bonding sessions after. It wasn’t the most successful event we’ve ever done but it was a fun night for everyone who came and a great memory I have with my club :) but I really enjoy and believe in everyone one of our events so it’s hard to choose definitively haha. 
Overall I can say my favorite PART of being so involved is the connections I’ve made. I really cherish all of my friends and groups here and would be so lost without them.

Thanks Jess!
Ciara is a student at Clark studying Political Science as well as Cultural Studies & Communication. She spends her time running around between classes, working at both the Campus Store and Annie's Clark Brunch and trying to figure out what to do with her life after she graduates this May. When Ciara is not juggling her busy schedule, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family, binge-watching Netflix (specifically The Office) and reminiscing her semester abroad in Ireland. Her favorite color is green and her guilty pleasure TV shows are The Bachelor and Dance Moms. Ciara is thrilled to be a Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Kelly Rourke! Be sure to follow her daily shenanigans via Twitter and Instagram @ckils23 HCxo