Building Community in University Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Although it was a bit chilly, the sun came out to welcome students and community members to University Park this past Saturday as Ivy Child International and the Main South Community Development Corporation kicked off their fall yoga in the park series.

The registration table was full of smiling faces ready to help people get ready for the yoga session. The instructor, Katie, started off slow and built up to some more strengthening poses. The yoga program will run every Saturday from 10-11am until October 22nd.

(source)

After the yoga class there was a farmer’s market with an abundance of fresh produce from the Regional Environmental Council.

I spoke with Main South CDC Director of Community Initiatives, Casey Starr, about some of the programming that is available to the public this fall.

In regards to the goal of the activities offered, Starr shared, “We’re looking to program the park to encourage community members to utilize the space. There weren’t any organized activities here, and we wanted to give people a reason to use the park in better ways.” Their programs are aimed at allowing community members and families to develop positive relationships with each other.

Starr stated that although it’s incredibly important, the Main South CDC didn’t necessarily intend to bring students and community members together. However, it’s working out that way, especially at their weekly Zumba classes. Starr observed, “It’s wholesome to see Clark kids and members of the Main South community dancing together. It’s such a diverse group of ages and ethnicities all together in once space.”

Starr also mentioned the partnerships that have made these activities possible. “We’ve had a long standing partnership with the REC. Our partnership with Ivy child has not been as long, but we were really excited to be able to work with them on this. We look forward to collaborating with both organizations in the future.”

With University Park so close to Clark’s campus, there’s no reason not to check out all the great activities offered.   

(source)

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team.