Behind the Scenes of Gala: Cami Ferreol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This week we sat down with seasoned GALA performer, Cami Ferreol! Read on as she talks about her involvement with ISA and her favorite GALA moment.

Photo Credit: Jocelyn Ng

Name: Cami Ferreol

Hometown: Metro Manila, Philippines

Major/Minor: Psychology & Cultural Studies and Communication double maj

How did you get involved with GALA? 

I have been a member of ISA for all my four years at Clark. When I joined the club as a freshman and as a first-time International student, it was like finding the comfort of home in a group of people. I have always been a part of the Publicity committee— basically, the visual, promotional component to all our events like World Cup and Journey. Gala is always my favorite design challenge, though, and I’m proud to say that this will be the fourth year that I’ve gotten to design the Gala logo. I’ve said this countless times but ISA was a creative outlet for me, and better yet, it let me channel that creativity into something beyond just myself and now I get to be creative for the entire Clark community.

What has been your favorite GALA moment? 

My favorite Gala moment has always been the end of flag ceremony—everyone proudly waving their flags and basking in a successful show. Being onstage, there’s a cascade of color, happiness, and hugs all around you, and it’s intoxicating.

Photo Credit: Jay Sundar Rajan

What is your favorite dance?

Honestly, the performances have just gotten bigger and better every year, but I’m definitely partial to my dances this year—South Korea and the USA! South Korea was dynamic. The sharp moves, synchronization, and catchy songs made it such a fun, firecracker performance. This year, I was also so proud to be able to dance for USA, the country I deem my second home. USA’s performance was a poignant statement about rising up against systems of oppression. It was a powerful representation of standing together to fight to preserve what the USA truly stands for—liberty and justice for all.

What is the most challenging part of putting on GALA?

For me, it’s trying to find a balance between being an ISA member, a Gala performer, a student, and a just human being with other responsibilities and needs. The challenge is trying to give each enough time, and trying not to be consumed by the stress. There is a lot of work that goes into Gala—from big things like planning the order of the show to building the stage, to details like making sure we have all the flags or that all performers’ names are spelled right in the program. It’s little pieces that all add up, and that’s a lot of pressure, but everyone in ISA does such a great job of helping each other out and keeping each other sane. In the end, I think I speak on behalf of ISA when I say it was all worth it.

Photo Credit: Jocelyn Ng

How is this year unique or different from years past?

With the tumultuous year we’ve had, the theme for Gala 2017 was “United, We Gala”. What makes Gala special this year is that it conveys the joy in solidarity. It says, “We’ve been through some sh*t but we’re going to get through this together, and do it with smiles on our faces and heads held high.”

Do you have any advice for people that will be attending on how they can have their best GALA experience?

Enjoy every minute of the show, and appreciate every minute of the show. It’s so important to know that aside from being extremely fun to watch, Gala is also so indicative of the diversity of culture and advocacies at Clark. People have worked tirelessly to represent these countries and get a message across. Be open to that, appreciate it, and the show will take on a new layer of significance for you.

Photo Credit: Jay Sundar Rajan

As a senior, what will you miss most about ISA/GALA?

For ISA, it’s the people—inside jokes, potlucks, and bonding over the commonalities we have despite such starkly different walks of life. For Gala, it’s the unparalleled satisfaction of seeing everyone’s hard work materialize into an amazing show. I see behind the scenes to final curtain, and literally everything in between. It really is a unique and unifying experience and the kind of high-effort, high-energy event that makes me so proud to be a Clarkie.

Anything else you want to share about your experiences as a seasoned GALA performer?

That I will miss it, so, so much. I encourage everyone to try to get involved with Gala one way or another during their time at Clark. Take my word for it, it’s an experience like no other. The Gala high is inevitable, long-lasting, and the perfect note to end the semester on.

Thanks, Cami!

Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team. 
Ciara is a student at Clark studying Political Science as well as Cultural Studies & Communication. She spends her time running around between classes, working at both the Campus Store and Annie's Clark Brunch and trying to figure out what to do with her life after she graduates this May. When Ciara is not juggling her busy schedule, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family, binge-watching Netflix (specifically The Office) and reminiscing her semester abroad in Ireland. Her favorite color is green and her guilty pleasure TV shows are The Bachelor and Dance Moms. Ciara is thrilled to be a Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Kelly Rourke! Be sure to follow her daily shenanigans via Twitter and Instagram @ckils23 HCxo