Australia Votes YES to Same Sex Marriage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

On November 15th, the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed that 61% of the population voted to allow same-sex marriage. More than 12.7 million people voted across the country, about 80% of the population, and every state and territory returned with a majority “yes.”

Source

While a bill has yet to be passed, this is a HUGE victory towards equality for all!

Australia Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called for same-sex marriage to be legalized before Christmas. The triumphant victory for the LGBT community comes after a long fought battle against rhetoric decrying same sex marriage. Many people didn’t want the vote to take place, fearing an aggressive and bitter “no” campaign.

Luckily those fears were in vain, and the country voted in favor of a more progressive world where everyone is free to love who they choose.

Congratulations Australia!

Julia is a recent graduate of Clark University who loves reading, writing, and entertainment in any form. You can usually find her obsessing over a new show or movie. She shamelessly loves pop music and pop culture in general and her dog Izzie.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!