6 Things College Has Taught Me About Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

When we think about college, we can’t help but think about the friendships that form during these precious years. This is the time we learn a little more about who we are as people with friends who support and pick us up along the way. My last few years at Clark have taught me a few things about friendship, both good and bad. However, friendships are an essential part of the college experience, and you’ll find that some of them may even last a lifetime.

1. Friendships form unexpectedly.

You’ll be surprised who will end up becoming your best friend. Keep an open mind. Your next best friend could be someone you met at a party, through a friend, in class or even on the Green!

2. Good energy is essential.

Surrounding yourself with friends who are uplifting and positive is crucial if you want to survive college, especially during finals week and those long New England winters. Stay positive and motivate one another!

3. Crazy friends make amazing memories.

There’s nothing better than having fun with your closest friends. Order food at 2 a.m., go on an impromptu trip to Boston, or walk home barefoot from a party singing Disney songs — anything goes. What’s great is that you know these crazy people are the ones who will care for you and walk you home after a long night out on the town!

4. Friend circles change.

Your friend group may not stay the same all four years, and that’s okay. College is when you’re supposed to grow and learn about what you like and what you don’t like, which may cause friendships and feelings to fade away. But like all things that fade, there will always be other things to take their place. Just continue loving yourself, and everything will be okay.

5. Friendship shouldn’t be hard work.

You’re in college. Stress levels are high, and friends shouldn’t add more stress. Although you will want to be there for them during hard times, it will sometimes become draining. When in doubt, always remember: “You can only help those who want to help themselves.” Be there for them, but remember that it’s ultimately their choice if they want to make a change.

6. Friendship is a two-way street.

If it seems like you’re the only one reaching out, making plans or trying to make time to meet-up, chances are you’re the only one who cares. If they cared, they wouldn’t let you do all the work.  

In the end, college friendships are what you make of them. There’s no other fool-proof way of attracting good people other than being yourself so if you believe in good vibes, good times and good friends, there should be no worries at all.