5 Best Places to Study in your Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Despite the week off from classes, I still have plenty of work to do during spring break.  I’m lucky enough to live close enough to campus to make the drive home for the week off.  However, I can’t do work at my house at all.  You would think having the house to myself while my parents are at work would create the perfect environment to prepare for exams and essays.  It really doesn’t.  I get so distracted by everything in my house.  My not-twin-XL bed at home is so comfy, the kitchen is stocked with food, and the living room has a flat screen TV ready for Netflix (instead of a laptop, yay!).   Luckily, I know myself well enough to know I can’t handle the distractions that come with doing work in my house, so I’ve come up with a few places I can go to study while I’m home.  Here are my top five recommendations for places to study in your hometown – I hope you find my top five recommendations helpful too!

1. Starbucks

This is the obvious choice because of the free Wi-Fi and delicious drink choices.  The only problem I’ve encountered with Starbucks is not being able to find a place to sit.  The one near my house is pretty small and depending on the time of day it can be impossible to find a table.  Regardless, Starbucks is always a great place to study!

2. Panera

As a Clark student, I have to mention Panera.In all seriousness, Panera is a great place to study.Grab a sandwich or soup and settle in with your laptop.They have Wi-Fi and small enough seating areas that you don’t feel like you’re taking a table meant for someone’s lunch party.The only downside is that it can get a little loud if you go during the lunch rush.However, during the week it probably isn’t too busy.Make sure you don’t go to Panera every single day of break (your wallet will thank you).

3. A Local Restaurant or Café

Panera and Starbucks are great but you can get them anywhere.Try a place that is native to your hometown.For me, there is an amazing pizza market downtown that would make a great spot to study.According to Instagram, a new café opened up in the center of town too, which could be a great place to settle in and do some work.While you’re home, don’t forget about the cafes and restaurants you don’t get to visit very often or try out a new place!Just be sure to find out if they have Wi-Fi first.

4. Your Local Bookstore

In my town, the Barnes & Noble is a great place to study.There’s a Starbucks in the store with tables as well as seats sprinkled throughout the store.I love bookstores, especially that new book smell!Plus, most bookstores have comfy couches and private nooks which create an excellent environment for studying.During the week it’s probably not too crowded.Don’t restrict yourself to chain bookstores either.If there’s a unique used bookstore in your town, check it out!You may find your new favorite place to study.

5. The Public Library

This seems like an obvious but probably largely overlooked option.The best thing about the public library is that it’s free!Plus, because it’s a library, it is equipped with Wi-Fi, resources and books for research, as well as study tables in a quiet environment.The library may not be as glamorous as a coffee shop, and there are no snacks (unless you bring your own), but it’s probably the best environment to work in. Also, feel free to go to another town’s library.My town’s public library is actually farther away than that of the neighboring town and I actually prefer the other town’s simply because it’s larger.Go with wherever is convenient and most comfortable for you!

I hope these tips help you with your studies if you’re home for spring break, or even if you’re on campus and looking for a change of pace.While it’s important to do your work, make sure to have some fun this break!If you’re looking for ideas, check out our article on How to Have a Spring Break Staycation.

Enjoy your break and happy studying, collegiettes!

Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!