4 Tips To A Long Distance Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This year was the first since I was a toddler that I haven’t lived five minutes away from my best friend. It has taken distance (439 miles but who’s counting) to realize just how much I took movie nights, and long drives for granted. I have heard from some of my friends that they feel friendships of theirs growing apart since starting college and some are surprised when I tell them my relationship with my best friend has done nothing but get stronger. Here are a few of my tips for maintaining meaningful long distance friendships.

1. Make time

Now I totally understand the crazy schedules of college students. No two days are the same. But finding, or making time for a Skype catch ups, or phone calls can make all the difference.

2. Be honest

The fact is, the friendships you made in childhood and high school are going to change with time. You won’t talk as much and you won’t see each other as much. Acknowledging change, and being open about the ways your relationship has grown is super important.

3. Share all the new things going on in your life!

If you and your best friend are anything like myself and mine, you know almost everyone they do, and their exact day to day routine. In college you are meeting so many new people, and joining clubs, going to parties, and experiencing so many new things. Share all the good things going on in your life and be happy for all the good things going on in theirs!

4. Plan ahead

Making plans for breaks can help time fly when you really start to feel the distance. Knowing in however many days you and your best friend can pick up right where you left off makes gaps of time without talking or seeing each other feel like nothing.

Recognizing friendships have changed can sometimes be hard, but it’s important to put in the effort for the ones that really count. College is an amazing time to meet a whole group of friends, but don’t forget to hold onto the ones who have gotten you to that point.