13 Songs To Rock Out To This Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

In honor of Women’s History Month, what better way to celebrate besides music? Her Campus at Clark created a Spotify playlist to you to jam out to with some of our favorite feminist anthems. You can check it out here.

1. “Sorry Not Sorry” – Demi Lovato

Lovato is not apologizing to anyone in her song. She sings how she doesn’t regret anything and is now even better because of everything. Like Lovato, girls don’t have to be sorry for who they are or what their past was. Embrace yourself.

Feminism line: Now I’m out here looking like revenge/Feelin’ like a ten, the best I ever been/And yeah, I know how bad it must hurt/To see me like this, but it gets worse

2. “Praying” – Kesha

I have  written about “Praying” before, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be on your Feminism Playlist. The song is about Kesha’s fight after being sexually and physically abused by her producer, Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald. It’s an anthem about moving forward and believing in yourself, empowering to anyone.

Feminism line: I can thank you for how strong I have become/’Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell/I had to learn how to fight for myself

3. “The Fear” – Lily Allen

Allen’s lyrics first seem anti-feminist. They talk about becoming thinner and playing into what the stereotypes are for women. However, as the song goes on, you realize that it’s more tongue-in-cheek than that. The song is about “The Fear” of not living up to those standards. Every women should feel free to be who they are.

Feminism line: And it’s not my fault, it’s how I’m programed to function/I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror/I’m on the right track, yeah, I’m on to a winner

4. “Run the World (Girls)” – Beyoncé

“Who runs the world? Girls.” In just one line, Beyoncé already empowers girls. It may seem throughout history that it’s a man’s world, but the Queen Bee sees it differently. This song is true to feminism, empowering women through the power of lyrics.

Feminism line: I’m repping for the girls/Who taking over the world/Have me raise a glass/For the college grads

5. “Doubt” – Mary J. Blige

Blige looks back her career in this song. She was told she wouldn’t amount to anything, that she wasn’t a leader. But she proved them wrong. She fought and became the iconic artist she’s known as today.

Feminism line: Now you’re looking at a leader/Now you’re staring at a queen/You said I’ll never be someone/But now I’m pulling all the strings

6. “Try” – Colbie Caillat

“Try” speaks to all the girls who have been affected by the media. The wide spread messages to girls these days is that they have to look prettier, or skinnier, or just not like they are. Caillat tells that you don’t have to “Try” so hard to look like what they want you to. You as yourself is beautiful already.

Feminism line: You don’t have to try so hard/You don’t have to, give it all away/You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up/You don’t have to change a single thing

7. “BO$$” – Fifth Harmony

Just like all the women before them, Fifth Harmony sings of independence for women. We don’t need a man to pay for us or make us feel worthy. “BO$$” encourages girls to work for themselves and believe in what they want, work toward that goal. The group references high profiled women like Michelle Obama and Oprah in the song as well.

Feminism line: Working for my money/’Cause that’s what my momma taught me/So yo ass betta show me some respect

8. “Independent Women, Pt. 1” – Destiny’s Child

Before Beyoncé was just Beyoncé, she was part of the all-female, empowered, group Destiny’s Child. This single does exactly what Her Campus stands for: Empowered women empowering women. The girl the group sings about doesn’t rely on a guy to by her things, as she does that herself. She is independent and strong.

Feminism line: Cause I’m am my number one priority/No falling in love, no commitment from me

9. “I Am Here” – P!nk

Pink is known for her empowering speeches and awesome talks she gives to her daughter about being a woman and not being sorry for it. Her newest album, Beautiful Trauma, really showed this theme throughout. “I Am Here,” is one of those songs, and it speaks of doing what you want. You want to make some mistakes or be in the sun or have sex? Go ahead. You do you.

Feminism line: I am here, I am here/All of this wrong, but I’m still right here/I don’t have the answers, but the questions is clear

10. “Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

This is the essential “I am this way so I like myself” type of song. Gaga is unapologetic about how she is, and she encourages us to do the same. It’s a true believe in yourself type of song. It doesn’t matter, as Lady Gaga sings, what you like or what you look like. It’s all up to you. You just have to embrace it.

Feminism line: I’m beautiful in my way/’Cause God makes no mistakes/I’m on the right track, baby I was born this way

11. “Respect” – Aretha Franklin

Franklin’s song is a classic feminism anthem. Respect isn’t being just asked in this song. It is being demanded, as it should be. We all deserve that respect when we get home.

Feminism line: All I’m askin’ for is a little respect/When you come home bring it to me, give it to me/Your heart should go when you come on/Respect me, oh I, I-I-I

12. “Stronger” – Britney Spears

This song has self-empowering lyrics throughout it. It’s about a girl who is done with her cheating boyfriend. She decides to live on her own, and she is stronger for it. There are lines throughout the song speaking toward how the girl is not his property and doesn’t need him. We can do anything on our own!

Feminism line: Stronger than yesterday/It’s nothing but my way/My loneliness ain’t killing me no more/I, I’m stronger

13. “Girl On Fire” – Alicia Keys

Key’s song for her fifth studio album speaks of freedom and fresh starts. The girl she sings of is taking control of her life. She’s taking her stand, and what else do you want in an empowering song?

Feminism line: “Oh, she got both feet on the ground/And she’s burning it down/Oh, she got her head in the clouds/And she’s not backing down

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.