Why The Harry Styles Groping Story Is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Everyone knows who Harry Styles is. He was a big voice when he got his start with the boy band, One Direction, back in 2010! After the band split, he started his own career in music and acting. After his solo album went high in the charts and Dunkirk became a hit, his stardom grew even more. Fans love his charming personality and how cheeky he can be. Some fans will kiss his cheek as a cute gesture of their love for him. Some on the other hand, have gone way too far.

On October 22, a fan groped Harry Styles on stage. As he was singing his song, Kiwi, he knelt down to the crowd to grab a few hands. One of those hands decided to get a little too handsy and grabbed his crotch. Harry was seen swatting the girl’s hand away and turning towards his band to get away from her. There was a lot to say on Twitter after someone uploaded a video of how angry they were. After that video was released, it went viral. People were fighting back and forth on Twitter about whether they thought it was inappropriate or not. One user, @arctic_memes, tweeted “I don’t care if you’re not a Harry Styles fan this is important, no one deserves to be sexually assaulted it’s not just men who are assaulters and grabbing someone by the crotch is creepy even with consent which Harry didn’t give #RespectHarry

I totally agreed with the people who started the “respect Harry” hashtag. They talked about how wrong it is to touch another person without their permission. Just because they are a celebrity, doesn’t mean you can touch them in a sexual way. This isn’t the first time this has happened to a male artist. I find it disgusting that most people seem to just brush it off. If this would have happened to Katy Perry, the media would’ve been outraged. There would’ve been assault charges and so much more! I think that men should be treated equal when it comes to this kind of assault. What message are we sending if we just dismiss this kind of stuff?

What do you think should have happened? Should the fan get charged? Did Harry do the right thing by continuing the concert? Do you believe that it is important to let people know how inappropriate this is? If you would like to see the video yourself and make a conclusion, click here.