photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

What Is The Best Nicholas Sparks Movie?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the one day of the year where love and affection is celebrated, but if you’re like me, you are single for Valentine’s Day…again. Thankfully there are plenty of romantic movies that will make you swoon and forget all about being single. Adaptations of Nicholas Sparks novels are some of my favorites, so I have decided to rank all eleven films from my least to my most favorite. 

11. Nights in Rodanthe

This movie is very forgettable and hard to relate to as a twenty-something, as the movie features a middle-aged couple. I would not recommend this movie unless you have a desire to see every Nicholas Sparks adaptation (which was the case with me). 

10. Dear John

I know that some people are completely taken aback that Dear John is so low on my list, but I have to be honest, I did not like this movie. Although Channing Tatum is a complete babe in this movie, that is all I can really remember about this movie. It accomplished what it set out to be, a cute love story, but otherwise it was okay. 

9. Message In A Bottle

This another case of a middle-aged couple’s love story playing out on the big screen. I did enjoy this movie and thought the plot was very enjoyable, but it just does not stack up against Sparks’s more relatable works. If you’re looking for a cute love story that ultimately ends in tragedy (like it usually does with Nicholas Sparks) then this movie should satisfy you.

8. The Lucky One

This is the part of the list where things get a little foggier for me. I liked this movie, but I did not love it. It was cute, but not completely memorable. However, this movie will more than likely with make you swoon (especially with Zac Efron being the main character). 

7. The Last Song

Another movie that I liked, but did not love. It was very much adorable and had a setting that could make any girl try their luck of finding love in a small beach town, but it was nothing new. This is a solid choice for Valentine’s Day, but not the very best in my opinion.

6. The Best Of Me

I’ll be honest and say that I only liked the parts of this movie that focuses on the couple when they were young. With that being said, I really enjoyed those parts. However, this movie is another adaptation that was good, but not great. 

5. Safe Haven

I really enjoyed this movie and thought it was a breath of air into the long line of Nicholas Sparks adaptations. This film had a lot of elements that made it very memorable and the lead characters had such great chemistry. Definitely a great movie to watch on Valentine’s Day.

4. The Choice

I love movies where the love is not instant, where there is a little bickering between the two lead characters, and they eventually fall for each other. This is one of those movies and I adored it. I considered placing this film in third place, however, I ultimately decided to place it in fourth place. Still, this is a great romantic movie to watch for any time of the year.

3. The Longest Ride

I adored both love stories that were told throughout the runtime of this film. It also does not hurt that Scott Eastwood is a contender for the hottest male in a Nicholas Sparks adaptation. This a movie that will make you want to fall in love.

2. The Notebook

This is the quintessential Nicholas Sparks movie. It will make you laugh, cry and of course, swoon. There are very few words to describe how absolutely amazing this movie is, and yet, it is not in my first place. This is the movie that changed every girl’s expectations of love and we all wanted our own Noah, but with that being said, it almost seems a little too overrated.

1. A Walk To Remember

I love this movie. I love this movie so much and think it is the most underrated Nicholas Sparks adaptation to ever be made. It will completely make you swoon and break your heart simultaneously. I personally will be watching this movie on Valentine’s Day with a box of tissues by my side.

N/A