Musicians Who Passed Away In 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Every year there is a handful of celebrities who pass away, who we mourn and whose legacies are cemented into history. Sadly, this year was no different, and there were several celebrity deaths which broke everyone’s hearts. However, I do not want this article to be depressing, and I simply want to honor some of the musicians who have passed this year.  

1. Tom Petty 

Tom Petty passed away on October 2nd due to cardiac arrest; he was sixty-six at the time of his passing. Petty was a singer, songwriter and guitarist who was most known for his band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Some of his most well-known songs include “Free Fallin’,” “American Girl” and “I Won’t Back Down.”

2. Chester Bennington

Chester Bennington passed away on July 20th at the age of forty-one; he committed suicide by hanging. Bennington was most known for being the lead singer of Linkin Park, but he also served as the vocalist for Dead by Sunrise and Stone Temple Pilots. His most known songs with Linkin Park include “Numb” and “In The End.”

3. Chris Cornell

Chris Cornell passed away on May 18th at the age of fifty-two; he also committed suicide by hanging. Cornell was best known for being the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, however he also lent his vocals to other groups such as Temple of the Dog. Some of his most popular songs with Soundgarden include “Black Hole Sun,” “Rusty Cage” and “Fell on Black Days.”

4. Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry passed away on March 18th at the age of ninety; the cause of death was of natural causes. Berry is considered to be a rock n’ roll pioneer and had a career that spanned over five decades. Some of his best known songs included “Johnnie B. Goode,” “Roll Over Beethoven” and “You Can Never Tell.”

5. Malcolm Young

Malcolm Young passed away on November 18th due to dementia; he was sixty-four at the time of passing. He is known for being the co-founder of AC/DC, as well as being rhythm guitarist, backing vocalist and songwriter for the band. Some of the band’s most known songs include “Thunderstruck,” “Highway to Hell” and “Back in Black.”

N/A