Five Documentaries To Bring Awareness To Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and I thought the perfect way to bring awareness to this particular issue would be to list some documentaries that focus on the topic of sexual assault. Documentaries pack a lot of information in a short amount of time, and leave you wanting to research further (at least with me they do). Obviously I am only listing five, but I think these five are a good start and all are fairly recent. So, without further ado:

1. The Hunting Ground (2015)

Description: “An exposé of rape crimes on U.S. college campuses, their institutional cover-ups, and the devastating toll they take on students and their families.”

2. The Invisible War (2012)

Description: “An investigative and powerfully emotional documentary about the epidemic of rape of soldiers within the US military, the institutions that perpetuate and cover up its existence, and its profound personal and social consequences.”

3. Audrie & Daisy (2016)

Description: “A sobering documentary showing teenage girls in the U.S. being victims of sexual assault by their male classmates/friends. It also covers the unfortunate trend that the system tends to minimize or even dismiss these cases, resulting in the victimized girls not receiving justice. To make matters worse, these girls often ended up getting bullied (both in school as well as online) for being rape victims.”

4. I Am Evidence (2017)

Description: “An investigation into the way sexual assault cases are handled by police departments across the United States.”

5. It Happened Here (2014)

Description: “Through the intimate portraits of five student survivors, IT HAPPENED HERE exposes the alarming pervasiveness of sexual assault on college campuses, the institutional cover-ups and the failure to protect students, and follows their fight for accountability and change on campus and in federal court.” 

description and image credit to IMDb.com

N/A