bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Five Celebrities that You Didn’t Know Have Heart Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

February is American Heart Month, and so, I have compiled a list of five celebrities that you may not know have heart problems. Of course the main focus of American Heart Month is about living a healthier life and preventing heart disease, so for more information about that, click here. But without further ado, here is a list of five celebrities with heart problems.

1. Shaun White

You could probably tell from the cover photo that Shaun White was going to be on this list, which may also be very surprising. Shaun White is, if you don’t already know, an Olympic snowboarder who was also born with four heart abnormalities. He was informed by doctors that he would have to limit the amount of physical activity he engage in, but obviously his condition did not hold him back. He also is an avid donator to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. 

2. Jennie Garth

Jennie Garth is an actress most known for her work on Beverly Hills 90210, but what you might not know is was diagnosed with heart valve regurgitation. Garth’s family had a history of both high blood pressure and arterial sclerosis, which would led her to eventually being checked out by a cardiologist. Garth is also involved with the organization Go Red For Women, in the form of a spokeswoman, which helps fund research conducted by American Heart Association.

3. Bill Clinton

Former president Bill Clinton underwent a quadruple heart bypass surgery after it was discovered that his arteries were ninety percent blocked in 2004. Since then he has underwent other operations, including in 2011 were his coronary artery was operated on. From that point he began a healthier lifestyle, including a vegan diet, routine visit with his cardiologist and regular exercise.

4. Toni Braxton

Toni Braxton is a Grammy award winning musician, best-known for her song “Un-Break My Heart.” What might not be as known is that she was diagnosed with pericarditis, which means there is inflammation of the protective sac around the heart. This was initially discovered when she was starring in the musical Aida in 2003, when Braxton passed out during an intermission (due to chest pains and overwhelming fatigue). Braxton has since participated in The Heart Truth Annual Red Dress Collection Runway Show and Women’s Day Red Dress Awards (both charity events)!

5. David Letterman

David Letterman had been a TV host for almost two decades when he discovered that he needed to undergo an emergency quintuple bypass surgery in 2000. Letterman’s father had passed away from a heart attack at age fifty-seven, which contributed to his decision to have the surgery done immediately. Letterman has donated to various heart-related charities, the Larry King Cardiac Foundation for example, and helped open the Ronald O. Perelman Heart Institute in New York City.  

Information for this article was provided by goodhousekeeping.com

photo credits to Chicago Tribune, slate.com, Variety, CNBC.com, GRAMMY.com 

N/A