jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Am I Dealing With A F*ckboy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Hmmm…where to start…

In this day and age, I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all had our share of encounters with a few guys that we would consider to be f*ckboys. Whether it be casual daily interactions, a relationship, or possibly a friendship, we’ve all most likely met one. Now, despite how unfortunate it may be to come in contact with a boy of such stature, the experience can help you to pick out certain characteristics in other boys you may meet. Keep reading for a few signs that you may have a f*ckboy on your hands and how to quickly move on before your time is wasted. 

How is he approaching you?

Sliding into the DMs can no longer be considered a sure fire sign of f*ckboyism. Many relationships start out this way due to the nature of our media centered society. So don’t be so quick to judge him if this is how he approaches you. BUT pay attention to what time he’s messaging you and definitely be on the look out for excessive use of heart eye emojis. Also, is he ONLY talking to you through DMs? Has he asked for your number? If not, he might be a f*ckboy…

Does he go ghost on you?

So you’re texting back and forth for a while then, minutes turn to hours, and hours turn to DAYS that he hasn’t texted you back. Of course this is the point where we all start to freak the hell out and wonder what’s going on. Then, one day out of the blue, (just as you’re ready to forget about him and continue to be the independent woman that you are) you get that “wassup” text. So irritating. He acts like nothing is wrong and tries to keep the conversation going as if he didn’t just disappear for days. This is a clear as day sign that you’re dealing with a f*ckboy. He comes and goes as he pleases with excuses or little to no explanation as to why. Don’t put up with this sweetie, you deserve way better.

Is he disrespectful? 

This is a big one. How does he treat others? How does he treat you? Pay attention to how he talks about women especially and the words he uses to describe them. This is usually a clear indication of how he may treat you. Do derogatory words slip out of his mouth frequently and fluidly? If so, who’s to say that he won’t use them when you guys get in a argument…  Is he polite at all? Does he offer to help you with things? Does he defend you? Do you feel safe around him? These are all things to consider. OH AND if you bring him to meet your family, how does he behave around them? If he’s overall rude, I think it’s safe to say he’s a f*ckboy. 

Does he talk about past relationships?

He seems like he’s hiding something when you ask about the past. Or on the other hand, he is quick to list the laundry list of girls that he has been with before. This is where things get touchy. No one actually likes to talk about their exes but sometimes you just need to know. If he seems excited about telling you this and makes it seem like having plenty of exes is an accomplishment…girl you better go before you end up on the list too. Obviously he’s not the type to take relationships seriously so why should you bother trying to change that.

Is he trying to get to know you?

Does he ask you the about the little things? What about a “how was your day” text here and there… Or does he jump straight into “wyd” or starting up an inappropriate game of 20 questions. If he is genuinely into you, he’s going to want to know about the things that make you who you are whereas a f*ckboy is going to mainly talk about himself and pose questions that come from a place of pure lust. 

Spotting a f*ckboy is not easy…

All of this really has to be considered on a case-by-case basis. It’s never going to be simple when it comes to men. Just trust your gut feeling and set some rules for yourself. I keep a 3 strike kind of thing going when I am involved with a new guy. If he does three things that don’t sit right with me or make me question his character in any way, he’s out. Plain and simple. I value myself far too much to have my time wasted and my emotions played with. I refuse to be treated any less than I deserve so I set my standards high. This might sound a little harsh but I’m #deada**. 

You’re a queen!

And you deserve to be treated like one! Don’t let any f*ckboys ruin your day beautiful!