This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

After working long hours with hardly any days off at my summer job, a vacation was long overdue. Some of my family had recently moved to Northern California and I connected with them to coordinate my trip. I planned to stay for a week, and I would be flying both ways. I was extremely nervous. I’d flown plenty of times prior to this, but it would be my first time flying alone. Knowing myself, I was certain I would lose my ticket, or go to the wrong gate, or miss my flight altogether… Despite my worries, I managed to make it there in one piece on my own. 

When I arrived, my family took me from the airport straight to downtown San Francisco. There we visited the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. I’m a huge art enthusiast so this was really a treat. The museum features work from a variety of artists and frequently updates its exhibits. From sculptures, to paintings, to photographs, the MOMA showcases unique and beautiful art. I plan to visit their New York locations someday.

As the week went on I continued my West Coast tour. I visited Fisherman’s Wharf on the waterfront of San Francisco. On the pier there were restaurants, shops, arcades, and a few live performances. It was chilly since we were down by the bay, so I had to pick up a jacket that served as pretty a fashionable souvenir. The most memorable thing from that day was seeing a large group of seals lying on a dock near the pier.

I couldn’t leave San Francisco without seeing the Golden Gate Bridge! It looks just as amazing in person as it does in movies, but the traffic was horrendous. It was a foggy day and my camera wasn’t fully cooperating but I managed to get a few photos.

During my stay, I was dying to try In-N-Out Burger. I’d seen so many photos of their signature foods on Tumblr and Instagram, I just had to know for myself what all of the hype was about.  As a professional French fry critic, I’d give them a 2 out of 5 stars but the burger gets a solid 5 stars. I’d also recommend their milkshakes!

I’m pretty sure I bought something I didn’t need almost every day I was there. I visited Santa Row with my cousin in San Jose. It’s an outdoor shopping mall with a variety of stores ranging from high end to those more in my price range. I found a few items in H&M while I was there, too.

Whenever I feel the winter blues setting in, I look through my camera roll and imagine myself in the sunshine again without a care in the world. I definitely plan on going back in the future to see and do even more. My trip to California is one that I will never forget.