8 Jobs You can get with your Criminal Justice Bachelor Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

There’s so many different possibilities when it comes to deciding on a job after earning your Criminal Justice Bachelor’s degree. A lot of people hear the major Criminal Justice and automatically assume the student is going to be a police officer; being a police officer is certainly one possibility but there are also many more. Below are some other jobs you can pursue with a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice.

1. CIA Analysist

A CIA Analysist is in the homeland Security field. Analysts integrate various sources of information into summary reports. They can perform tasks like analyzing weapon systems, analyzing economic trends in the U.S. and abroad, and tracking international organized crimes and narcotics trafficking.

2. Computer Forensic Investigator

Computer forensic investigators gather digital information from computer systems and obtain data that can help determine how an unauthorized user hacked into a system. A computer forensics investigator protects the computer system, recovers files, and analyzes data found on sources like disks and flash drives.

3. DEA Agent

DEA stands for Drug Enforcement Agency. DEA agents investigate major drug crimes in the U.S. These agents collect and prepare evidence, conduct surveillance, write investigation reports, interview suspects, and arrest suspects. DEA agents work with local, state, federal, and foreign agencies.

4. Forensic Accountant

Forensic accountants examine tax and business records to find irregularities that can impact criminal and civil cases. These accountants conduct forensic auditing, prepare expert witness testimonies, and review statements from Fortune 500 and other smaller companies. Forensic Accountants must take and pass the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Exam.

5. Probation Officer

Probation officers work with assigned clients, prepare reports for the courts, investigate offenders, and provide judges with information about the offenders. Probation officers can conduct random drug tests, monitor the location of their clients, and interview the family members and friends of their clients. Probation officers can work at the state and federal level.

6. U.S. Marshal

U.S. marshals safeguard federal witnesses, and transport federal prisoners to and from court and prison. They also provide protection for federal judges and manage assets that are taken from criminal organizations. U.S. marshals must undergo training for about 18 weeks. The President appoints them.

7. FBI Agent

FBI agents investigate crimes and enforce federal laws. These agents conduct surveillance activities, interview sources, and participate in raids, search warrants, and arrests. FBI agents also investigate incidents like the hijacking of airplanes and terrorist threats. FBI agents must attend a 21-week training program at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.

8. Victim Advocate

Victim advocates offer emotional support to victims, help victims find a safe place to go, inform them of their rights, accompany victims to court hearings, and contact victims if their aggressor has been paroled, or escaped prison. Victim advocates must complete a 40-hour training program. Victim advocates can work in the criminal justice, social services, and community outreach fields.

There are just some of the many options for employment after obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice. Being a police officer doesn’t require a Bachelor’s degree but getting one can help you advance in the field.

Don’t let the predominantly male field intimidate you ladies! There are growing numbers of females entering the criminal justice field in all different fields.