This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

November is National Healthy Skin Month. Women have all kinds of skin issues. Here are only a few issues and some recommendations to help them out.

1.      Acne

Acne can be brought on by several different factors: excessive oil production, different bacteria, clogged pores, and pressing your phone against your cheek.

Have you noticed that a lot of your acne is centered around your cheek and mouth area? The bacteria that accumulates on your phone attaches to your cheek and clogs pores.

Recommendations: A facial wash to unclog pores and a topical crème with benzoyl peroxide to fight bacteria, in the morning. Before bed, use the same facial wash to unclog pores

and relieve the skin of the day’s stresses. Oral contraceptives and prescription drugs could be used to help control hormone fueled acne. A Bluetooth headset could help with the

bacteria from your phone.

2. Dark Spots

Dark spots are flat browns spots that are caused by ultraviolet damage and the over production of the skin pigment called melanin. Dark spots can appear anywhere on the body

but they show up on parts of the body that receive the most sun exposure. Recommendations: Dark spots are harmless however visiting a dermatologist once a year is recommended.

If you think a dark spot could potentially be harmful the dermatologist could look and recommend a biopsy to check for any abnormalities.

3. Scars

Scars are from a trauma to the skin such as surgery, injury, and even severe acne. Scars can come in all shapes and sizes and colors. Because of these differences the scars can be

taken care of different ways. Recommendations: If they are older than a year scars then you will most likely have to live with them.  Some scars can be treated with different kinds

of lasers, which will pull the skin together and making it tighter and even reduce redness.

4. Stretch Marks

Stretch marks are reddish to purplish grooves that could appear over breasts, hips, stomach, and rear. They can be caused by rapid weight gain due to pregnancy or even weight loss

that stretches to the point of breaking. Recommendations: Stretch marks are best treated when they are still fresh by using moisturizer. Even Fraxel laser treatments can be used to

help stimulate collagen and fill in stretch marks.

5. Rosacea

Rosacea doesn’t really have a cause however it shows itself in different ways such as, facial flushing, acne-like bumps, dilated blood vessels, and even swollen bumps along the face

and nose. Recommendations: Using cleansers and moisturizers with anti-inflammatory properties can help dull the redness and irritation. Caffeine can even help close dilated blood

vessels. Avoiding triggers such as the sun, hot and cold temperatures, spicy foods, and alcoholic drinks are recommended.

6. Moles

Moles are caused when the skin grows in a cluster. They are more common in people with light skin and most are not dangerous however some could be signs of skin cancer. A

mole that should be looked at is asymmetrical, has an uneven border, is discolored, is larger than the size of a 1 mm, or has changed in size, shape, or color. Recommendations: An

annual checkup with a dermatologist is recommended. Moles that could be cancerous may need to be removed and biopsied to be sure that it is or is not cancerous.

I'm Lydia! I am a Nursing major with a minor in Psychology. I'm a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and a member of the Outdoors Club. I love eating pizza and watching Netflix
Senior @ Clarion, studying Communications & Journalism. I sing in my school's A Cappella group, I play the ukulele and I love Her Campus with my whole heart.