6 Reasons Why being A Godparent is Amazing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

In this world, we get to wear multiple hats – son, daughter, mother, father, employer, client, crazy cat lady. Each one of these hats comes with different rewards, responsibilities, and opportunities. Some hats are more general, such as son or daughter, while other hats, such as CEO or meteorologist, are more exclusive. The different hats we wear help to shape us as a person, even though we do not keep every hat that we are given.

Somehow, I have been lucky enough to be asked to wear the hat of godmother – twice. While this hat isn’t nearly as exclusive as the meteorologist one, there is a certain amount of esteem involved with being a godparent.

When my best friend asked me to be the godmother of her baby boy, I was ecstatic, but it wasn’t the first time I was asked to be a god mother. Nine years ago, when I was 11 years old, my cousin and his now wife asked me to be the godmother of their first child- Aubrey. While at the time I had no idea why they would ask me to take on this role for their child, I am so incredibly grateful that they did.

Being a godparent is a blessing, so similar yet different than being an aunt or uncle; a hat that I have worn for 14 years. So, in honor of my goddaughter Aubrey and my godson Liam, here is 6 Reasons Being a Godparent is Amazing.

1.You Have a Tester Child

As a godparent, you have the unique opportunity to have a child without actually having a child! While your involvement in your godchild’s life is up to the amount of time and effort you want to put in, your godchild has the potential to be used as a tester child. Both new and experienced parents enjoy a break, a time to remove one of their hats for a little bit, and that’s where you as the godparent have the potential to step in and borrow your friend’s child. Through these interactions with your godchild, you can learn about your own parenting styles and patience levels as well as most importantly, if you want to have children of your own.

2. There Is a Return Policy

Still, unlike with your own children, there is a return policy! You may love your godchild like he or she is your own, but at the end of the day, he or she is not your child which means you get to give them back and recharge.

3.You Can Spoil Him or Her

As a godparent, you are in a great spot to spoil your godchild in ways that their parents cannot. You get to spoil your godchild with love, attention, and presents – without repercussion. If you have the money (and the parents’ blessings), you can do things to make your godchild feel like one of the most important people in the world. The best part is that if there are any repercussions in your actions, you do not have to deal with them.

4.You Are a Confidant

Yes, you get a tester child and a child to spoil rotten, but as a godparent one of your most important roles is as a confidant to this child. You have the potential to be the person that your godchild talks to when they feel uncomfortable talking to their parents about something. When frustrated or afraid or in need of a break, your godchild can come to you as a person to help them. Sure, you are a semi-parent, but you can also be your godchild’s adult friend – his or her nonjudgmental shoulder to lean on.  

5. You Are a Reality Checker

Along with being your godchild’s confidant, you can be their reality checker. You can help them see things about their parents and life that they may not otherwise be able to realize on their own. Teaching life lessons and giving advice is a part of the job. And if you build the relationship right, they will be more likely to listen.

On the other end, you also get to be your friends’ reality checker. You can be their go to person when they need help figuring out their child and a person to remind them of what matters the most. When their parent hats start to cover their eyes, you get to help them readjust the hat so that they can see better.

6. You Have Been Chosen

Lastly, as a godparent, you have been chosen. Your friend or family member has chosen you to help someone morally raise their child and to show their child the best way to live. Your friend is placing an enormous amount of religious and/or legal trust in you. He or she has chosen you to lean on when parenting is hard, or when the money is tight, or when he or she needs someone to listen. You have been chosen to make an impact on a child’s life. If you have the chance to be a godparent, don’t take it for granted.

Imarii is a junior Secondary English Education major with a minor in Spanish Language at Clarion University. Her hobbies are reading, crafting, and Facebook. You might catch her napping in the library or obsessing over bows. She is the secretary for the Tobeco Literary and Art Journal and the Sister Development Chair of her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. She hopes to travel the world teaching English.