alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Activites to Make the Winter more Bearable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

The winter months can seem to drag on, especially if you live in Western Pennsylvania. Regardless of if there is tons of fresh, fluffy snow on the ground or if the day is drab and dreary, you might start to crave a change in scenery. But if you are anything like me, a lavish vacation to the Bahamas is out of the question.

Fortunately, with these five activities you can distract yourself from the temperamental winter weather, even if it is only for an hour or two.

1. Go bowling

Just because many bowling alleys are stylistically stuck in the 70’s does not mean that they cannot pleasantly affect your mood! Not surprisingly, throwing an eight-pound ball down a 60-foot lane is a great stress reliever. Invite a few friends out to your local bowling alley this weekend and proceed to forget all about the falling snow as you roll an impressive strike (or a gutter ball).

2. Play Chopped

If you have never watched the Food Network show Chopped then you need to. Bring the sensational show alive and compete against your friends to see who creates the best dish in 30 minutes using random items from your food pantry. The dreary day will seem to melt away just like your mom’s homemade pot pie.

3. Have a game night

Nothing is better than a good ‘ole game night. Pull out your Monopoly, your deck of Uno cards, and watch as your relationships unravel. It’s hard to let the winter blues set in when you are thoroughly destroying all your friendships.

4. Take a mini-vacation

While you may not be able to afford a trip to Miami or Cancun, you might be able to afford to stay the weekend at a local hotel or to take a trip to a nearby city. Regardless of where you go, take advantage of the change in scenery. Take a dip in the hotel’s pool, splurge on a spa treatment, or visit some of the cheap local attractions. Trading your own winter tundra for a new one may not seem like much, but sometimes all you need is a different perspective to help you feel rejuvenated.

5. Create your own Paint and Sip

While there are many businesses that host Paint and Sips, unless you are of age you may not be able to attend. Instead, invite your friends over and host your own Paint and Sip with beverages of your choice! Avoid painting a snowy landscape, and you’re bound to forget the time of the year.

Imarii is a junior Secondary English Education major with a minor in Spanish Language at Clarion University. Her hobbies are reading, crafting, and Facebook. You might catch her napping in the library or obsessing over bows. She is the secretary for the Tobeco Literary and Art Journal and the Sister Development Chair of her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma. She hopes to travel the world teaching English.