A Breath of Fresh Air: HC City New Editor Victoria Hood!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Taking on the role of an editor might seem like a scary challenge, but Victoria Hood is up for it! We pass on the leadership of Her Campus City University chapter (thanks Martina!) to the first-year journalism student who’ll step into the editor’s shoes later on in the year.

She’s already done loads for us but we’re excited to start this new chapter under her capable hands. Let’s meet our new editor!

Victoria, you’re a first year taking up the role for Her Campus’s brilliant City University page. Are you are up for the challenge? I hope so! I am studying Journalism at the moment, and have already an Higher National Diploma in the subject, so what I learn on the course will hopefully benefit Her Campus. Also, I have had a lot of help and support from the (ex) editor Martina Andretta. She has been showing me the ropes and, to be honest, I like a bit of a challenge. If something is easy, it’s no fun.

What do you like the most about writing for HerCampus? I love how relevant the topics covered are to City University Women and the diversity of the subjects covered. The writing is personal and relatable. We have a great team of contributors who all have their own special interests and are from all over the globe, each brings their own style and angle. However we are looking for more contributors.

What are you hoping to achieve as editor? I want to put Her Campus City on the map. At the moment I have found many people at City aren’t aware of what we do, and that’s a real shame because we have such good writers! We have just started a new Spotify page where we will be posting playlists of all sorts of music. My three main goals would be: 1) publicising the page more; 2) growing the team of contributors and 3) having more social events for both members and future members alike. To show we are also about having fun!

Any thoughts for someone who wants to get involved in writing for us? Please do! We are looking for new members to join the team. I plan on having social events where possible and recruitment days to show people we are a fun team! Even if you aren’t a journalism student, I would still encourage you to try. You aren’t committed to writing an article every week, just when you feel comfortable with it.

Tell me more about your interests outside of uni. I can happily admit that I am a massive nerd! I always stay to the credits of a Marvel film. I love gaming, films and TV. You will find me either binge watching television shows, having a movie marathon or just playing the Xbox. I also have a great interest in reading, but not of the academic nature. That stuff is horrific!

And finally – what’s your motto in life? I have three personal ones that have always gotten me through some rough times:

1. ‘It Can’t Rain All The Time’- From The Crow.2. ‘Out of Suffering Have Emerged the Strongest of Souls’- I even have this one tattooed on me.3. ‘Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.’ – Dr Seuss

Good luck in your new role Victoria!