Why Your Major Doesn’t Define the Rest of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Before I entered college, I was convinced I was going to be pre-med and even though that is not a major, it may as well be. I designed my college curriculum and major around going to medical school. I’m in the medical sciences major here at the University of Cincinnati, a major that is run out of the College of Medicine. I felt that having a program out of the COM would provide me with a better chance of getting into medical school. A few months later….and I’m no longer pre-med. But, I’m still a medical sciences major. You see, your major does not define the rest of your life. Whenever I tell people my major here on campus, I typically have to add that I am not pre-med, because a significant majority of the medical sciences cohort is pre-med. To put it in perspective, there are approximately 75 people in my major, in my class. As far as I know, there are two people that don’t want to become physicians. I am one of those two.

I want to go to graduate school. I want to do research. I want to write. I want to do something that makes a different to the greater good of society, but I do not want to go to medical school.

However, I could have taken so many different paths within my major. This is just the one path that I decided to take.

That being said, there is a future that I could decide upon in a year from now. I could go completely change my major. But there is no means that I am restricted by my major.

I am a firm believer in the fact that we can do anything we want to do, and a college degree/major is just a set of “skills” – a capacity if you will, of THINGS that we are probably good at. It is a set of “skills” where we should be well-informed in our respective field.

I am good at biology. I am not good at philosophy. If I were to go into a philosophy related field, I could definitely be successful, if I worked at it.

I believe you could do anything that you wanted to do anything, and you can input multiple perspectives at a future employer, or whatever you decide to do with life. Most of your training depends on your job, anyways. You could really do anything you wanted, regardless of what you get your degree in.  

Lauren Styczynski

Cincinnati '20

Lauren is a third year at UC, from the Cincinnati area. She loves to laugh, and is pursuing a career as a scientist.
Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.