courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Selena Gomez Found a Kidney Donor in Her Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

We all know Selena Gomez as the mega pop superstar that invades our radios with catchy songs that make us want to get up and dance. What many people don’t know about Selena is that for the last five years, she has been struggling with the autoimmune disease, Lupus. This disease attacks the tissues and organs which can cause great fatigue and pain. Selena’s illness caused her kidneys to begin to give out on her, catalyzing the need for a kidney transplant.

Kidney transplants are no easy feat. The list to receive an organ is often years long, and the chances of finding a perfect match are very difficult. Luckily, Selena’s best friend was a perfect match. Francia Raísa, an American-actress, best known for her role in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, is good friends and roommates with Selena. As soon as she found out that her friend was in need of help, she volunteered to be tested. Both Francia and Selena are great believers in their faith and know that this was no accident. Their faith and friendship are admirable and a true testament to their bravery. Selena and Francia hope that their story inspires others to become an organ donor to save a life.

Check out their interview with the Today Show below!

Thumbnail Image Source

NY. CCM Musical Theatre Class of 2021.
Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.