Style > Beauty

Relaxers Decline as Black Women Embrace Their Curls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

As long as I could remember, I’ve been getting perms all my life and the same could be said for most of my female African-American peers. Perms were the remedy for controlling the kinky, curly coils sprouting from my scalp at an early stage. It was the only way to make my hair look presentable, or so my mom thought. From an early age, the majority of little black girls are taught that perms are the only way to contain our crown. Either we do that, or we, as black women, would be discouraged from wearing our natural tresses. But those days are over. I decided to go natural my sophomore year of high school after doing research about the process, and haven’t looked back. No longer would I dread getting my hair permed and be unable to scratch my hair the day of my new do because chemicals would make my scalp burn. Black women are leaving the “creamy crack” behind as the natural hair “trend” becomes a full-fledged movement. It is rare nowadays to see a black woman with a perm. I am so happy that we are embracing our natural curls more. And for my sistas who choose to relax their hair still, you’re still beautiful too.

According to a market research firm, Mintel estimated that the Black hair business is worth $774 million and relaxer sales are aimed to decrease 45 percent before 2019. Women are ditching the creamy crack and embracing their curls to the fullest.

Hair products catering to black women’s hair are filling the aisles of drug and beauty stores more than ever. We natural haired women even have our own festival; Curlfest. Curlfest is a natural hair festival that takes place at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York. What a time to be alive and to be a black girl spreading #BlackGirlMagic – embracing each other for who we naturally are. Cause Black girls obviously rock and so does our hair!

Check out some of these natural hair products for you curly mane!

Shampoos:

Shea Moisture® Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo

Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Hair Wash

Conditioners:

ORS Curls Unleashed Conditioner

Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner

Leave-in Conditioner:

Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave In Conditioner

Cantu Shea butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Co-wash:

As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner

Cantu Natural Complete Conditioning Co-Wash

Deep Conditioner:

Eden™ BodyWorks JojOba Monoi Deep Conditioner

TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.