The New Minimalist Trend You Can Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The other day on a clothing resale Facebook page a girl getting rid of what seemed to be the entire contents of her closet made a post. Someone commented and asked her if she wanted to make a trade for a sweater, and the girl replied back, “I’m actually starting a capsule wardrobe so I’m not in need of any new items.” My next thought was, “What the heck is a capsule wardrobe??’

By definition, a capsule wardrobe is a term coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called “Wardrobe” in the 1970s. According to Faux, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don’t go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces. However, more recently the trend has been adopted by the minimalist community.

The modern rules for creating a capsule wardrobe vary, but most of the time they consist of around 37 essential items.  Each season (spring, summer, fall, and winter), you clear your closet except for a set number of pieces to be in your capsule wardrobe. Your capsule collection is made up of a combination of items you already own and love to wear, as well as new, quality items that you can shop for once a season.

It usually looks something like this.

It might sound like a lot of work, but a capsule wardrobe equates more time, more money, and more energy for the things in life that really matter (aka not your clothes). By shopping only once a season, you end up saving a lot of money.

The fashion blog Who What Wear published these five steps you can take to starting your own capsule wardrobe.

1. Pare down your closet to 37 items.
  2. Wear only those 37 items for three months.
  3. Don’t go shopping during the season until…
  4. The last two weeks of the season, plan and shop for your next capsule.
  5. The amount you buy for the next capsule is up to you, but less is more.

Personally, I’m not sure if I’ll be taking the plunge in creating a capsule wardrobe anytime soon, but the concept is one I can definitely get behind.

Thumbnail Image Source

Carolyn Schultz is a first year Fine Arts major at the University of Cincinnati. She is orignally from New Hampshire but has lived in New York and most recently, Texas. She loves the beach, sushi, and most of all, creating. You can check out some of her artwork and photography at https://carolyn-schultz.squarespace.comInstagram: @Carriecschultz 
Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.