This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Whether it’s finding the right time of day, type of workout you enjoy most, or simply finding the right outfit to wear to the gym, all of these involve patience and trying new things.

Many gyms offer free classes such as cycling, yoga, HIIT, and more. Take advantage of these! If you lack motivation, grab a buddy that will hold you accountable. If you feel awkward about not knowing the right “moves”, having a friend to stand by your side will make all the difference in the world. (Fun fact: nobody is looking at you in those classes, they are only focusing on themselves!) With so many to pick from, finding your favorite type of workout might sound discouraging, but there certainly is one that will work for you. Don’t be afraid to try lifting weights either! Weight lifting does wonders for your body and burns tons of calories too.

Working out in the morning and evening are two very different things. Some people enjoy morning workouts because they like to start their day early and crank out their daily workout right away. Those who favor evening workouts enjoy the idea of “burning off” the calories they have consumed during the day and feel like they have more energy since they have been able to hydrate all day. Try both out for a week: one week of only morning workouts, and one week of only evening workouts. See what you like and go from there!

When it comes to finding the perfect outfit for the gym, don’t be afraid to splurge on quality clothing that you are going to wear all the time. You shouldn’t be preoccupied with what you are wearing on your body when you’re at the gym! The gym is a place to take care of your body and your clothes shouldn’t get in the way of that. Finding a comfortable size is important too. You don’t want clothes that are so tight you can’t breathe, yet you need something “snug” that isn’t going to fall off while doing burpees. With time and patience, you will find the right brand and size that works for you.

The gym is “you time.” This is your time of the day to enjoy how you sweat and how you feel. Working out is extremely important for mental and physical health, and the sooner you can get into a routine that works for you, the sooner you can start living an easier, happier life.

Thumbnail Image Source

Emma Komrska

Cincinnati

I am currently a Junior at the University of Cincinnati. In my free time, I love to explore new kinds of workouts, check out the latest trending shows on Netflix, & meet empowering women on/off campus. If you have any questions for me I would love to answer them at emmakomrska@gmail.com ENJF // "love does does not keep a record of wrongs"