Dorm Cooking Series 101: Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

If you’re in need of a chocolatey pick-me-up before Valentine’s Day, then you’ve come to the right place. After my grandma gave me this recipe when I was little, I became obsessed with it. It was so easy to make and so addicting. I made it probably around three times a week as an after-school snack (I’m still not sure how I got away with it). Recently, I was rummaging through my mom’s recipe box, and flashed back to these memories when I came across the recipe. If you’re in need of some warm chocolate scrumptiousness, then try out this recipe below and soar into chocolate heaven; you won’t want to come back down.

Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

1 Microwaveable coffee mug

4 Tablespoons flour

4 Tablespoons sugar

2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

1 egg

3 Tablespoons milk

3 Tablespoons oil

3 Tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Instructions:

1. Add dry ingredients to the mug and mix well
  2. Add the egg and mix thoroughly
  3. Pour the milk and oil and mix again.
  4. Add the chocolate chips (if you’re using them), vanilla, and stir them in
  5. Put the mug into the microwave and cook for three minutes on high. The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don’t be alarmed, it’s supposed to happen!
  6. Allow the mug to cool a little, and then you can tip the cake out onto a plate if you want. Add whatever toppings you’d like :)

Enjoy!! 

Thumbnail Image Source

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.