This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

What is “dry brushing”? You may be asking yourself right now. I had never heard of it either, so don’t feel too bad. It is exactly what it sounds like. Dry brushing is the act of taking a dry brush and rubbing it all over your body before you shower. No lotions. No oils. No water. Just you, your skin, and your brush.

When I first heard of dry brushing, I honestly thought it seemed like a big ordeal with little actual benefits until I realized how important my skin was. Skin is literally the largest organ of the body and it is located outside of the body. That means it is exposed to all the toxins and pollutants of the world around me. Plus skin is one of the most important organs when it comes to the detoxification process. I spend so much time taking care of the skin on my face, but rarely consider the rest of the skin on my body. Here are five benefits of dry brushing that should make you consider picking up this simple youthful habit.

1. Improves Lymphatic Drainage and Blood Circulation

Dry brushing is a great way to increase blood circulation throughout your entire body because you are drawing attention to those areas of your body that might not get enough circulation, like toes or ankles. Improving blood circulation aids with lymphatic drainage by releasing toxins through the skin and overall helps your body function efficiently.

2. Reduces Appearance of Cellulite  

Cellulite is unwanted toxins in fat on your body, so by dry brushing, you release those toxins by increasing your blood circulation and improving your lymphatic drainage. This allows the appearance of cellulite to reduce.

3. Exfoliates Dead Skin

Exfoliating dead skin is great because it allows new skin cell renewal and gives you the appearance of softer and smoother skin.

4. Eliminates Clogged Pores

Just as you exfoliate and cleanse the skin on your face to eliminate clogged pores, the skin on your body gets clogged pores as well! By dry brushing and exfoliating off all the dead skin, it ultimately eliminates clogged pores at the same time.

5. Creates a Healthy Domino Effect

When creating a healthy habit in the morning, such as dry brushing, it sets the tone for the rest of the day. You started with one healthy habit, so it is easier to continue the rest of the day with an upward trend of healthy habits, like drinking more water to “hydrate your skin” or eating a healthy lunch instead of choosing the fast food option.

Overall, this simple habit of dry brushing your skin before you shower can benefit your skin in more ways than one! An average dry brush costs around three to five dollars so why not try it out!

Thumbnail Image Source

Caroline Currie

Cincinnati '19

Caroline Currie is a fourth-year student at the University of Cincinnati working towards a Liberal Arts degree in Anthropology, Electronic Media, and Professional Writing. When she’s not watching hours of cuddly cow videos, she’s eating pints of vegan ice cream and reading piles of nonfiction psychology books. She has a passion for uplifting and empowering women on campus by sharing their stories for others to learn from or be inspired by! 
Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.