A Week in Review: Did this even happen?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

College is a funny place that sometimes gives you experiences that you wouldn’t get anywhere else. The week before last at Chatham was full of once in a lifetime opportunities. Here’s what happened:

Monday

Mae C. Jemison visited Chatham to endorse Hillary Clinton and speak about her life. Jemison is infamously known as the first Black woman to travel to space, and if that hasn’t impressed you, just you wait. As a physician, engineer, and astronaut, Jemison is a versatile change maker. Not to mention she has a social science background, which is very uncommon. Her attention to the environment and intersectionality is inspiring. I can’t say enough good things about this woman. I was honored and star struck to be five feet away from her.

Tuesday

So, NBD but Joe Biden was in the gym. You heard me, Joe Biden, the Vice President of these United States, the Obama-Biden friendship bracelet wearer; the sexual assault prevention awareness activist was in our AFC. The security was high, the line was long, and the chill was nonexistent, but man was it worth it. Biden was proceeded by amazing speakers including Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto and US Congress runner (and Chatham alum) Erin McClelland. Selfies were taken and dreams were made.

Wednesday

Thank the Lord, we had time for a breather and a little bit of school work.

Thursday

Part of the Women’s Institute’s Just Film series, a documentary called Yemanjá: Wisdom from the African Heart of Brazil was showed in the Chapel and Eddy Theater. The film was produced and directed by Donna Roberts and Donna Read, and narrated by Alice Walker, the author of The Color Purple. Roberts and Walker graced us with their presence on campus and, again, dreams were made.

The documentary was amazing and the following panel that included Roberts, Walker, and Dr. Rachel Harding was profound. The attention to the environment was not what I expected, and it was more than welcome with Native American Heritage Month being in November and the protests at Standing Rock in North Dakota. 

Friday

Nothing seemed real. Who am I now? What is life?

Teri is in the Class of '18 at Chatham University. She is a Communications-Journalism major, Editor-in-Chief of The Chatham Post, and president of the Omicron Delta Kappa honor society. Her passions are writing, leadership, and encouraging people in any way she can.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.