Top 5 Performers Chatham Should Bring to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
As you all should be excited to know, in the spring, Chatham will be bringing a big name performer to campus. For many years, students have asked for a large-scale concert or event on campus and this is the year Student Affairs, in conjunction with the Chatham Activities Board and Chatham Student Government, are asking for suggestions for who that performer should be. Here are my top five picks: 

1. Todrick Hall
Singer, dancer, actor–there’s nothing this guy can’t do. Todrick got his claim to fame on American idol when he impressed the judges with his original audition song. Sadly, Todrick was voted off in the semifinals but that didn’t stop him. Since his time on American Idol, Todrick has dominated the YouTube sphere, creating viral hit after viral hit. Some of his most popular includes “Cell Block Django,” “The Disney Dudez,” “Wizard of Ahhs” featuring Penatonix, “Evolution of Disney,” “Mean Gulrz,” and “Twerking in the Rain.” Most recently, he started a new series called “4” where he mashes up songs from an artist to pay tribute to them. So far he has done “4 Beyoncé,” “4 Taylor,” “4 Rihanna,” and “4 Gaga.” In additional to active YouTube channel, Todrick is an advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and was in the forefront of the “It Get Better Campaign.” This year, Toddrick has moved from the small screen to the big screen with his own show on MTV titled, “Todrick.”  The show follows Todrick and his friends as they make their viral videos. If you need more convincing, check out his YouTube channel. Warning –This channel may encourage procrastination.

2. Angel Haze 
Angel is rapper, singer and spoken word artist. They are known for their powerful lyrics and quick rhymes. Their song, “Battle Cry,” featuring Sia, spoke on their struggles with their childhood sexual abuse and accepting their sexual identity. 

3. Avery Wilson 
Avery is an up and coming R&B artist with a voice as smooth as butter. Avery launched his career on the third season of NBC’s “The Voice.”  Avery’s best selling single is “If I Have To.” See more of Avery on his YouTube channel. 

4. Tori Kelly
Tori Kelly is another new artist who sings a mix of R&B and Pop. She performed “Who’s Lovin You” for Smokey Robinson’s tribute along side Robin Thicke and Ne-Yo. Tori’s latest album “Unbreakable Smile” is out now.

5. Ryan Adams 
Ryan is an American singer/songwriter and is known for his diverse solo career. He used to be a member of the alternative country band Whiskeytown. His latest album release, “1989” is a cover of Taylor Swift’s album “1989.” Ryan recently performed his rendition of “Blank Space” on “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.”

Hi
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.