Tiara Andress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Tiara Andress

Year: 2015

Hometown and what you love about it:

I am from the small town of Amory, MS.  (A true Southern girl!!!) The thing that I like most about my town is that it’s small and everyone knows each other. The food is awesome as well.

Areas of study and how you chose them:

My undergraduate degree is in Culinary Arts.  I achieved a Bachelors of Science with a concentration in Food Art and Journalism from Mississippi University for Women.  I have always loved cooking and how creative it allows you to be.  I am currently a second-year Graduate Student in the Food Studies Program.

Why did you choose Chatham?

Well I chose Chatham University because of my course of study, which is the Food Studies Program.  Food Studies is a really new field, and Chatham is one of the select schools that offers the program.

What’s surprised you most about Chatham so far?

Chatham has an essence that allows all of the students to have their freedom of speech.

Childhood Dream Job:

My childhood dream job was to open a restaurant called The Spot.

Current Dream Job:

My current dream job is to work for a major company in the culinary or beverage industry, like Coke or Pepsi. Companies like those have a lot of opportunity for growth and good learning environments. If not Coke or Pepsi then a major franchise restaurant. I would like to go into innovation in supply chain management, marketing, retail sales, or menu innovation within a company.

If you could only eat at one Pittsburgh restaurant for a full year, which one would you pick and why?

It would be Smoked currently located in Lawrenceville. The tacos there are absolutely delicious.

If you could be best friends with any movie character, who would you pick and why?

Well she is definitely not a movie character but close to it: Olivia Pope from Scandal. I love the show and her wardrobe is amazing.

If you could join the cast of any TV show, which one would you pick and why?

Oh this is easy… I would join the cast of Empire. Empire is one of Fox’s new shows that premiered in the early winter. The show tackles controversial and real topics in African American culture that I can relate to. Its a show for everyone!

You have a friend visiting Pittsburgh for one day, and you’re planning the itinerary. Where do you take them?

The first stop would be to Pamela’s for breakfast and Smoke for dinner.  Pittsburgh has a lot of nice museums as well.

You can live in the world of any book for a day. Which one do you choose and why?

I don’t really read many books outside of class readings … which are a ton.  So I would say I would love to live in the world of the Sex and the City movies for one day.  I am a fashionista, and I love the art form and creativity behind fashion.

What do you love most about being a Chatham student?

I love getting to interact with different people from around the world.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.