Special Edition: The Leaders of Chatham’s Undergraduate Writing Organizations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
L to R: Creative Writing Club’s Brittanie Terensky, Minor Bird‘s Kaitlyn Lacey, and the Communiqué‘s Indigo Baloch

Thank you to everyone who attended Writers’ Boot Camp on Thursday, February 19! We loved the opportunity to collaborate with the Communiqué, Creative Writing Club and Minor Bird on this orientation to Chatham publications. 
In case you missed the event (or just want additional information), here’s what you need to know to join any of the presenting organizations!

Editor-in-Chief: Indigo Baloch

Here are a few excerpts from our Campus Celebrity interview with Indigo:

HC Chatham: What is the biggest mistake an individual can make when offering feedback on someone else’s work?

Indigo Baloch: Never shut someone down. Never be mean. It’s okay not to like something or to not understand it, but never put someone down and make them afraid to write or share their work again. That’s so horrible—to kill someone else’s talent before it can be polished.

How does your experience as a writer influence the way you edit the work of others?

I always try to be as thoughtful and kind as possible. I will point out their mistakes, but I’m never mean. I try to help them improve their writing rather than rewriting everything they’ve submitted. That won’t help them at all in the future—you have to workshop with them. You have to be available. You have to be a resource.

Tony Norman serves as the faculty advisor to the Communiqué. What is the most important thing he’s taught you?

You have to write. You have to. When you go to apply for jobs, it doesn’t matter if you’re the best writer in the world. The employer will look for the biggest pile of clips. They might pick a horrible writer over you just because that person has more experience. It isn’t fair, but it’s life. This is why I always try to push my staff and other students to write.

We followed up with Indigo to get more information on joining the Communiqué. Here’s what she had to say:

HC Chatham: What opportunities are available for prospective members?
Indigo Baloch: The Communiqué is always looking for staff writers, photographers, and editorial board members.

What is the time commitment for a member?
We expect weekly submissions, but are always interested in contributing writers/photographers.

What are three things students will learn from joining your organization?
Students will learn how to write journalistically, meet deadlines, and prepare their work for submission.

What would you say to a student who has never worked in your style of writing before?
Journalistic writing is the easiest form of writing. It doesn’t require an amazing vocabulary or any creative embellishments. It’s the one form of writing absolutely everyone can do. All you need to do is write down the facts.

How can students join?
Students interested in joining the Communiqué can contact us by email at chathamcommunique@gmail.com or specifically contact me at ibaloch@chatham.edu.

Here are a few highlights from our Campus Celebrity interview with Brittanie:

Part of workshopping a piece is learning how to take – and give – constructive criticism. What are your tips? 
…All writing is subjective. It’s important to remember that if somebody doesn’t like your piece, that it’s not any sort of judgment on what kind of writer you are. Getting constructive criticism sometimes sucks, but the person giving the criticism is trying to help you, not bring you down. And when giving constructive criticism, I think it’s really important to be as respectful, but as honest, as you can be. You have to think about how your criticism would make you feel if you were in the other person’s place. If your criticism would upset you, then it’s obviously going to hurt another person. Just try and rephrase your suggestions so they are more respectful and less hurtful, but always be honest. 

What is the best writing-related advice you’ve ever received?
To write for myself. In high school, I would often adjust my writing to try and please other classmates or teachers, until one day a teacher pulled me aside and told me to stop doing that and only write for myself. I would restrict and censor myself because I didn’t think that others would like it and I think that’s the worst thing I could have done. Now, I write what I want and I don’t even think about how others are going to like it. If somebody doesn’t like what I write, I am more than fine with that. I like it and I’m proud of it and that’s all that matters to me. 

We asked Brittanie to give us more info on Creative Writing Club following the event. Here’s what she shared with us:

What events does your organization host?
The Creative Writing Club hosts monthly workshops and Chatham’s undergraduate Rea Coffeehouse Reading Series. The monthly workshops are to prep and polish the student work around campus in order to prepare for Minor Bird, Rea Coffeehouse Reading Series, and even outside submissions. Rea Coffeehouse Reading Series is Chatham University’s undergraduate reading series. We showcase the work of five Featured Readers, as well as an open mic portion that everybody can participate in.

Typically, CWC members only have a two-hour time commitment each month (because of the workshop). However, some months may require a larger time commitment. The Creative Writing Club often collaborates on many events with other organizations; for example Take Back the Night and One Night Without Shoes are both events that the CWC will be participating in during March and April. Because of events such as these, time commitments may stretch to three – four hours a month.

What are three things students will learn by joining your organization?
By joining the Creative Writing Club, students will learn that the writing community on campus is very supportive, that there are so many opportunities to get your work out there, and that sharing your pieces publicly is not as scary as it seems. The CWC accepts all types of work and is willing to work through any piece to polish it up. As a club, we work really hard to encourage students to submit their work and support other creative writers on campus.

What would you say to a student who is nervous about sharing their writing publicly?
I think that every writer has had that moment where they don’t want to share their work. But getting your pieces out there in the public is extremely important and satisfying. It’s honestly just something that you have to get over and once you do it, you will be so happy you did.

How can students get involved?
Students can easily get involved with the Creative Writing Club by emailing me at BTerenskyrees@chatham.edu or just letting me know in person that you want on the email list!

Here are excerpts from our Campus Celebrity interview with Kaitlyn Lacey:
HC Chatham: How did you get involved with Minor Bird? 
For those who are new to campus, what is it?

Kaitlyn Lacey: I started last year as both a submitter and part of the Editorial Board. I was friends with the previous Editor and Assistant Editor, and they both convinced me that I was actually skilled enough to do so. Before that, my self-doubt held me back. I guess I was much better than I thought because last spring I was appointed Editor.

For those who don’t know, the Minor Bird is Chatham University’s undergraduate student literary magazine. Undergraduate students comprise both the submitters and the editorial board, who vote on the work that is sent in. The works that are selected are published both in print form and on the Minor Bird website. It is published twice a year, once in the Fall and once in the Spring semester. Any undergraduate student enrolled at Chatham can submit artwork or writing, no matter what their major. And take it from me – you are probably better than you know, and it doesn’t hurt to submit.

Many people are shy about sharing their creative work. What advice do you have for students who would love to submit their art or writing for a future edition but are worried it won’t be good enough?

My advice is to submit. Even if you don’t have people in your life telling you how good your writing is (which you probably do, you just might not be able to hear or believe them), that nagging self-doubt is part of every good writer’s waking nightmare. It’s part of what makes all of us better when we go in and revise, rewrite, or even give up and write a new piece. But sometimes, we let it get bigger than it should be, either by listening to the inaccurate opinions of others or just by spending too much time in our own heads comparing our writing to someone else’s.

If you do end up getting a rejection email, it’s usually because a piece isn’t fully polished. The editorial board can see its potential, but it hasn’t been taken as far as you can go with it. What they want is not for you to give up. What they want is for you to take it back, look it over, see what they saw in your writing or artwork, and take it just that one step further. They want to see your pieces again so they can publish them when they’re at their fullest potential.

Why do you love writing?

I love to write because I love to tell stories. I love to tell stories because I love making them up. Reading and making up stories kept me going through some really tough (to say the least) situations growing up. And because the stories were there, I want to be able to share my own with others in similar situations.

Learn more about joining Minor Bird on their website.

And of course, we’d love to welcome you to the Her Campus Chatham team, too! If you’d like to join us as a writer, photographer or business team member, email chatham@hercampus.com with your name, year and areas of interest. No magazine writing experience required!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.