So New Year’s Resolution or Nah?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It’s getting to that time of year where people are thinking of New Year’s resolutions. Some people say that making a resolution is ridiculous. You don’t need the start of a new year to do something you want to do. Not to mention that, with that much pressure on having a goal and sticking to it immediately, over 60 percent of resolutions are dropped within the first month of the New Year. Fair points made by the skeptics.

On the other hand, some people say that it’s the perfect time for “new year, new me” mentalities. This time of year allows you to start fresh and make some ballsy news. In a bad relationship? Dump it. Got broken friendship? Mend it. Need to start adulting? Open that savings account, kiddo. It’s hard to argue that these aren’t all beneficial things. And, depending on the kind of person you are, it’s hard to argue that these bursts of motivation are prone to coming on at this special kind of year.

You’ve got the “screw resolutions” team and the “go resolutions” team. Which do I prefer?

Though I’d say I take a more laissez faire approach to resolutions, I’m pro resolution done right. I make resolutions if I feel like they’re relevant for me. Last year I didn’t make any resolutions, but this year I have a couple.  I think the secret is to know yourself, think about what you actually want and what’s good for you, and make sure you’re thinking about it in the right way.  Don’t put too much pressure on yourself or on the goal. Focus on the action, not the outcome. If you want to start reading books, focus on giving yourself 10 minutes a day instead of completely 24 books. Or if you do want to measure in books, give yourself a reasonable goal such as, “I want to read more this year, let’s shoot for 3 more books than last year.” It’s manageable and if you forget about it until the summer time when your schedule is open, that’s fine because then it’s doable for you. Or even take a more common goal: I want to start eating healthier. Instead of planning a huge menu for yourself to follow each week, go with something you know you can work with like, “I want to eat better so I’m going to have 2 vegetables at every meal.” You’re a college student and sometimes cooking all of your meals is not realistic. With goals like this you have to be kind to yourself. Framing the resolution as “I’m going to cook all of my meals” or “I’m going to eat only fruits and veggies” when that doesn’t fit your lifestyle could lead to frustration and even skipping meals because you’d rather not eat than eat a hamburger. That’s no way to live.

Whether or not you decide to make a resolution or not, have a safe and happy holiday season and welcome the New Year in right.

Teri is in the Class of '18 at Chatham University. She is a Communications-Journalism major, Editor-in-Chief of The Chatham Post, and president of the Omicron Delta Kappa honor society. Her passions are writing, leadership, and encouraging people in any way she can.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.