Saying Goodbye to Your New Friend from the Other Side of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Keiko was a surprise roommate on move-in day.  She is from Shizuoka, Japan and traveled to the United States for six months to continue her studies in English. My other roommate, Molly, and I have learned so much from Keiko in her time here. We also hope we have helped her with the English language and knowledge of American culture. Over breaks, she visited both of our houses and stayed with our families. As part of Japanese tradition, 20-year-olds celebrate Saiginshiki, so we held a mini celebration for her as she did not get to experience it at home. We have shared many stories and experiences, have had some great laughs, and have formed what I’m sure is a lifelong bond.  

Sadly, it has come time for Keiko to return to Japan to begin the new semester at her university–Kobe. It is hard to come to terms with the fact that someone you have lived with for so long will simply not be there anymore. You also slowly start to realize how much you are going to miss them, and don’t realize the true amount until it is time for departure. You begin thinking of all the fond memories and how much you have appreciated having this person in your life.  

I am really going to miss Keiko. It has been just her and I for awhile now, and we have made a great duo. With no foreseeable hope of coming back in the near future, it is unlikely I will see her very soon, if it all. But this should be a time to reflect on your friendship. It is also a time to really appreciate living in the digital age, where we can message each other and send pictures with no hassle. Keeping in touch with someone really has never been easier!

As many of you may also have an international student as a friend/roommate at some point, this is my advice to you: Get to know them! Form a bond. It is well worth it. You may be sad when they leave, but the experience of getting to know someone from a completely different culture is a great opportunity. And it always helps to have friends in all places. Who knows, there might be a trip to Japan in my future

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.