This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Paper. Plastic. Glass. Bottles. Cans. All are staples in the standard recycling diet fed to most individuals worldwide. However, currently, creative people are finding all sorts of ways to reuse or “recycle” old items into new treasures. Take, for example, two Argentinian men who have refashioned old skateboards into functioning guitars. The nose and part of the mid-deck are used for one part of the guitar, while another skateboard is used for the neck of the guitar. Each piece is unique, and indeed, no two of their guitars are alike. They bear the scars from their previous lives as skateboards: each ding, scratch, and scrape a testament to the hundreds of kick-flips, ollies, and other tricks of the trade. Since each piece is meticulously handcrafted, they sell for a fair, hefty price: nearly $1,000 a piece! While they are exorbitantly expensive now, perhaps with more people delving into the creative mind sphere to remake “useless” items, there may one day be a market for recycled guitars that will make them more affordable. Check out more info here.

Also check out their Facebook page for wicked pictures as they show some of the how-tos in making these magnificent recycled Mona Lisa’s!

Image Source:

Skate Guitar

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.