Rachel Leftwich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Rachel Leftwich

Year: 2014

Hometown: Murrysville, PA

Areas of Study and Why You Chose Them:

I am working on my B.S. in environmental science, with minors in environmental policy and French. My main area of academic interest is the intersection of environmental problems and human health. Both research and policy can be effective tools in protecting people from environmental contaminants, so I am reflecting that in my choice of majors and minors. I chose to major in environmental science because it is such an umbrella, a really broad look at many different branches of science. I have so many interests, and I want to be able to pursue many of them, and to be qualified to do so!

Favorite Movies:

Pan’s Labyrinth, Contact, Fern Gully

Favorite TV Shows:

30 Rock, Game of Thrones, Law and Order SVU, Heroes

Favorite Books:

When Smoke Ran Like Water by Devra Davis, Running with the Buffalos by Chris Lear, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman

Favorite Foods:

Heirloom tomatoes, snap peas, burritos, chocolate

Favorite Musicians/Bands:

My musical tastes change regularly, but I generally listen to alternative/indie music. Currently, I’ve been listening to The Black Keys, WALKTHEMOON, Pickwick, Hey Marseilles, Passion Pit…

What is your favorite spot on campus and why?

My favorite place is the library, probably because I live there. Between being a student worker at the circulation desk and my class load, I spend lots of time at our library. I like it because there’s always a place for what I need, be it a quiet place to study or a place to meet a group, or just a place to see people. 

Childhood Dream Job:

Teacher (like my dad!)

Current Dream Job:

A job in Seattle for after graduation in my field!

Why did you choose Chatham?

I was looking for a school with a good environmental program in Pennsylvania that wasn’t in a rural locale because I wanted things to do outside of class time…. At Chatham I felt like an individual instead of a number. 

What do you love most about being a Chatham woman?

Leadership is expected of us, and if you are willing to rise to the challenge, there are so many opportunities to take.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.