The Positives of Plants and People: Why Plants are the Perfect Pets for College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

You don’t have to be an environmental science major or a tree hugger to have plants in your dorm room. Plants are a crucial part of the planet, the food chain, and the air we breathe; therefore, plants are for everybody! Pets are not allowed in on campus housing, but having a green little friend is the next best thing (if not better). There is little to no mess, no noise, fairly easy care, and no need to pay for expensive food or vet bills. Having a plant in your room can be aesthetically pleasing as well as providing necessary functions. They can help clarify the air in your space, relax you as you tend to them, and sometimes provide food depending on what you are growing. It is exciting to see something grow and blossom under your care. I, for instance, have been eagerly watching my daisies grow from seeds to sprouts. Every step is exciting, and gets my mind off of the stress from regular life for a bit.

There are many different kinds of vegetation out there, and there is certainly at least one to fit everyone’s lifestyle. For starters, there are cacti and succulents. These kind of plants can vary shape and size from all extents, and tend to be very popular in the busy college woman’s study area. They can be made into a terrarium with multiple kinds, and don’t require much care; just sunlight and water about once a week.  

In addition, there are also plants that reproduce, a lot. Spider plants, for example, are very pretty, very green, sometimes flower, and produce a lot of baby spider plants form their stems.  Need a cheap and easy present for somebody? You got it! Just pick up a decorative pot and some soil, then snip off the baby and plant it.  

Vertical gardening is also an excellent option for dorm rooms. This is a way to grow produce in your room or apartment without taking up much space.  

There are many ways to get the benefits and joys of having plants in your room, test a few that sound appealing and give your green thumb a try!

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.