Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK): What It Is and How to Join

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Dorssom

What do Hillary Clinton, Peyton Manning, and Sheryl Crow all have in common? All three of the above have obtained one of the highest honors in the collegiate world: membership in Omicron Delta Kappa (otherwise known as ODK or “The Circle”). By meeting the right requirements, you, too, could obtain membership in ODK.

ODK is a National Leadership Honor Society that is known for its commitment to service and education. While this former boys-only club is relatively new at Chatham University, it has been around for one hundred years. Heather Black, Director of Student Affairs and Residence Life, is a former member of ODK. Speaking about the experience, Heather says, “I wanted to join ODK because it recognized achievement in a variety of leadership areas.” Despite all of her responsibility with Residence Life and Student Affairs, Heather Black still finds the time to sponsor ODK at Chatham.

Heather Black had nothing but good things to say of her time as an Omicron Delta Kappa member, saying that she enjoys being brought together with like-minded people on campus. When asked about her favorite thing about ODK, Black responded that, in addition to its commitment to service and leadership, she likes that “ODK celebrates students who excel both inside and outside of the classroom,” adding that it “truly attracts diverse candidates with different experiences.”

Omicron Delta Kappa has over three hundred chapters throughout the country. When asked why ODK was brought to Chatham, Heather Black responded, “ODK is a nationally-recognized honor society and was a great opportunity to honor Chatham’s students for their achievements both inside and outside the classroom.” If by now you’re wondering how you can become a member of “The Circle”, keep reading!

In order to be considered for membership, undergraduate students must have a 3.25 GPA, and graduate students must have a 3.0 GPA. Members of ODK need more than just good grades, however. Society members must be well-rounded and must think highly of involvement in a variety of areas ranging from service to the performing arts. Here at Chatham, the organization plans on having a few meetings over the semester and will offer many chances for service on campus. One event currently being planned will celebrate seniors. When asked what her hopes for Chatham’s chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa were, Heather Black said, “My hope is that ODK builds a stronger presence and attracts more members.  I know there are many students who would be great members and deserve this honor.”

Are you interested in learning more about Chatham’s chapter of ODK? You can find out more by contacting Heather Black by email at hblack@chatham.edu or in person at the Office of Residence Life located in Woodland Hall. Applications are due, Friday March 14.

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Dorssom

My name is Atiya (Ah-Tie-Yah).I love books, writing, musicals, coffee (I'm not addicted I swear), dorky coming of age tv shows, blogs, social justice, and world saving. When I grow up I'd like to be a combination of Hilary Clinton, Shonda Rhimes, and Nicholas Kristof.
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.