Music Blog: Landmark Moment in Music History: Garth Brooks to Enter the Country Music Hall of Fame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It was announced on March 6, 2012 that 90s superstar Garth Brooks will enter the Country Music Hall of Fame.

On the Country Music Hall of Fame website, CMA Chief Executive Officer Steve Moore said that “Garth led modern Country Music to unbelievable heights of commercial success and pop culture relevance after bursting onto the scene as part of the now-legendary ‘Class of 1989.'” He added that the singer was not only a performer, but also “a force of nature.”

You can read Brooks’ reaction on this Dallas News blog post

The official ceremony, which will place Garth Brooks’ name in the Hall of Fame, occurs later in the year. Other artists being inducted include singer Connie Smith and keyboardist Hargus Robbins.

News of his addition to the Hall of Fame takes place only a month after Billboard’s Soundscan announced that Garth Brooks was the top-selling artist of the 90s and 2000s with record sales of over 68,591,000. Coming in at number two and three on the Soundscan list were the Beatles and Mariah Carey respectively.

A biography of the singer and his career highlights can be found on the Country Music Hall of Fame’s website and a playlist of his songs can be found right here at HerCampus!

“The Thunder Rolls”

“More Than a Memory”

“The Dance”

“Standing Outside the Fire”

“Beaches of Cheyenne”

“Friends in Low Places”

“Two Piña Coladas”

“The River”

“Callin’ Baton Rouge”

“Rodeo”

Bonus:
“Right Now”

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.