Melanie Landsittel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Melanie Landsittel 

Year: First-Year 

Hometown and what you love about it: 
I’m from the South Hills of Pittsburgh, I love how quiet it is but also how close it is to the city. 

Area of study and how you chose it: 
I am majoring in Visual Arts with a double concentration in Art History and Studio, as well as minoring in Museum Studies, with a certificate in International Studies: Europe. I’ve always been very involved in the visual arts, and knew that if I chose do to anything else with my life I would end up miserable, I think with things like that you need to trust yourself, and even though it’s not very profitable, doing good work in a field that you love always gives you more than any salary can.

What organizations are you involved with at Chatham? 
I am Co-President and of Knitting Club, Co-President of Artist Collective, Secretary/ Treasurer of Class of 2019, a member of Girl Up and of the 2019 Scholars.

What is one thing you hope to learn in 2015? 
How to live carbon neutral. 

Why did you choose Chatham? 
I love the environment of being in the city but also being secluded, it’s very safe and quite and I love that. I also love to be able to walk to amazing restaurants, as well as needing only take a 40 minute bus ride to get home because my eleven year old sister is my best friend. The close-knit community of this university is something I also find very beautiful. 

What advice do you have for prospective students making their college decision? 
I think that it’s important to choose a college caters to the person you want to become. It is an environment that will push you to be active and strive to be your best, as well as somewhere that you are very comfortable and at peace. 

What’s surprised you most about Chatham so far? 
Even though it’s a very small campus, there is just absolutely always something to get involved in, and everyone is so beautifully inclusive. It’s very special in that way.

Childhood Dream Job: Veterinarian 

Current Dream Job: Museum Director, preferably somewhere in Belgium or France. 

If you could only eat at one Pittsburgh restaurant for a full year, which one would you pick and why? 
I would probably stray towards a Café more than a restaurant, probably Jitters on Walnut St. because I can’t live without Chia, and have a diet that mainly consists of croissants and muffins. 

If you could be best friends with any movie character, who would you pick and why? 
Olive Pendergast from “Easy A” because her character is so honest and kind, but at the same time she knows herself, and doesn’t let anyone treat her less than she deserves. She is also quite funny and goofy which I think are nice qualities to have in a best friend. 

If you could join the cast of any TV show, which one would you pick and why? 
I would choose The Office because everyone is so absurdly hilarious by simply being themselves, and being surrounded by people like that would make me so happy. 

You have a friend visiting Pittsburgh for one day, and you’re planning the itinerary. Where do you take them? 
We would take the bus to Oakland, first stopping at Waffellonia and then walk down to Phipps. Take the long way back to Chatham through Schenley park and detour down Walnut St., stopping at Mercurio’s for pizza and gelato. If we had time maybe get a bus downtown and take the incline to mount Washington. 

All photos courtesy of Melanie Landsittel.

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.