Lynzy Groves, Co-Chair of Relay for Life at Chatham University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Lynzy Groves’ grandmother and mother fought cancer. Now, she wants to help end it. The sophomore serves as Co-Chair of Chatham’s Relay for Life Committee with Meg Scanlon, raising money for the American Cancer Society. On Friday, February 6 from noon to midnight, members of the extended Chatham family will gather in the AFC Gym for the music-themed fundraiser. The goal – exceeding last year’s total of $10,000 – is big, but Groves’ passion drives her forward. The Communique cartoonist and Chatham Marketing Association VP of Community Impact specializes in the fusion of art and philanthropy, and this year’s Relay is sure to include plenty of both. Read on to find out how you can support the mission.

HC Chatham: Where are you from? What do you love about your hometown?

Lynzy Groves: I’m originally from Chicora, PA, which most people have never heard of. The thing I love about my hometown: all of the cows.

Why did you choose Chatham? 

I have always loved the Shadyside area and the first time I stepped on Chatham’s campus, I felt at home. I love that I’m in the city, but it doesn’t actually sound like I am.

You’re in your sophomore year now. What’s one thing you’ve learned about yourself since coming to Chatham?

I have learned that I am not the same person I was in high school. Chatham allowed me to be fearless.

What are you studying at Chatham? Why did you choose it?

I am double majoring in Marketing/Management and Graphic Design.  I chose this combination because I love to use creativity in order to promote nonprofit organizations. 

What are you involved with on campus?

Relay For Life Committee, VP of Community Impact for CMA, Cartoonist for Communique

You have a knack for philanthropy! You and Christina Fortunato led the Chatham Marketing Association in the creation of the Young Art 2014 Art Fair. How did the fair come to be?

The theme for CMA this year is art related, and Dr. DeLong approached me about potentially being involved with CMA and helping with philanthropy opportunities.  The idea of an art fair came about; we all loved it instantly and pounced on the idea.

You’re an artist yourself, and we love your cartoons in the Communique! Where did you get the idea for Squirrel Code?

It took a while to decide on a theme for my cartoon for Communique.  I was given a lot of freedom and many ideas were tossed around until I noticed the abundance of squirrel life on our campus and how loved they are by the student body. I chose the name Squirrel Code after MTV’s “Girl Code” so people would be familiar with the sound and then be interested.  Now I am working on Squirrel Code presents “MeanSQRLS,” of course in homage to “Mean Girls,” which is a lot of fun.

How did you get involved with Relay for Life? Why did you decide to pursue a leadership role?

I have been involved with Relay For Life for 18 years. I have lived and breathed it for so long that I genuinely enjoy planning the event and helping my community through the event. I decided to pursue a leadership role because Chatham needed an experienced “Relay-er” who is passionate about the cause. So far, I have brought a lot of ideas to the table, but we will have to see how February 6 goes to know for sure.

What can people expect at next Friday’s Relay for Life?

OMG. Expect sooooo much.  I am so excited for our Relay. We have so many cool prize (concert tickets), door prizes, activities, music, swing dance lessons, zumba, a hip hop dance crew performance, dinner donated from various big chain restaurants. We have pulled all of the stops to make this the greatest Relay Chatham has ever had.

How much money did Relay raise last year at Chatham?

We raised a little over $10,000 last year.

How can readers support Relay?

You can go online to relayforlife.org/pachatham and register to participate, create a team with friends, family, student organizations, and even your favorite professors. After registering, you can get donations from family/friends over email and share our cause on Facebook and Twitter. You can also support us by attending the event! We would love to see as many people as possible there!

Why is Relay for Life close to your heart?

Growing up, Relay was just something I did to honor my grandma who is a survivor, but I didn’t understand the magnitude of the event. I never fully understood why I Relayed until my mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2012. I knew from that moment that I have a responsibility to do everything in my power to eliminate cancer so my future children do not have to hear or be afraid of the word cancer. Relay is my passion, and my wish is to see cancer eradicated within my mother’s lifetime so we both can see that we helped to conquer it. The fight is very personal to me, and once we all realize it is personal to everyone, we can win this war against cancer.

What’s your current dream job?

I would love to be a professional fundraiser and event planner for nonprofit organizations.

How is Chatham helping you achieve your dreams?

Chatham has provided me the opportunity of a lifetime- I am working as an intern doing a portion of my dream job with the Muscular Dystrophy Association this semester. Chatham has already helped me achieve my dreams!

Speed Round!

If you could hang out with any musician or band for a full week, which one would you pick? 

Reba McEntire (don’t judge)

What surprised you most about Chatham?

I was/am surprised that they let Alice Shy and me host Airband as first years, and again this year! Don’t they know what we are capable of?

You can step into the world of any story for one day. Which book would you choose?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy- I would want to be in Rivendell with the elves.

You can take three artists – dead or alive – to dinner. Who do you invite?

Michelangelo, Childe Hassam, Walt Disney

Suppose you get to spend a year creating art all day, every day, but you can only select one medium to work in. What do you choose?

Old school lead pencils

What was your childhood dream job?

I always wanted to be an Imagineer at Walt Disney World, where I would do concept art for amusement park rides. I still like that idea. My backup plan through childhood was always to be a cop.

What do you love most about being a Chatham student?

I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do, believe anything I want to believe, and it is all okay because it makes me who I am. Thank you Chatham for teaching me this.

If you’d like to donate to Relay for Life, click here.

All photos courtesy of Lynzy Groves

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.