Lessons from a Life Coach: Strategies for a Stellar Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Getting ready to graduate? Consider Emily Cassel your fairy godmother. Described as a Life Coach & Dream Weaver, this Chatham alum makes it her mission to help women create extraordinary lives. The last time we caught up with Emily, she’d just started building her business. Now, she’s officially a CEO (only two years after commencement!) and wants to help you find your own path to fulfillment. So take a break from tutorial, grab a latte from Café Rachel and settle in for some sisterly advice. 

HC Chatham: For seniors, it’s easy to feel completely bogged down by commitments and lose sight of what they really want their last semester of college to feel like. What tips do you have to help seniors prioritize their own happiness as much as their graduation requirements?

Emily Cassel: Create space for yourself to go inward and reconnect to why you’re doing all of this in the first place! Otherwise, it’s so easy to lose sight of the bigger picture and get bogged down by all the other things going on. Also, get really clear about what you want your final semester to look like. If you could choose 1 word for how you’d like to describe the experience after you graduate, what would you choose? Once you have that word in mind, decide what needs to change about your approach to your commitments based on that. If your word is “fun,” then how could you make studying more fun? Maybe this could include making studying like a game that you could play with your friends – get creative! If it’s “peaceful,” maybe you would want to light some incense and keep the lights dim when you study, keep fresh flowers in your room, and fill your time outside of schoolwork with peaceful activities like yoga, bubble baths, and lots of self-care.

Senioritis is in full swing this time of year. What can soon-to-be graduates do to stay focused on success?

Define what “success” really means to you, and what that looks like. Set aside some time each morning to visualize what a successful day would look like for you. Simply taking the time to envision this at the start of your day, even if it’s in the few minutes after you wake up and you’re still laying in bed, can keep you laser-focused and excited about what’s to come.

Many seniors are searching for jobs right now. As someone who is achieving their dreams, what advice do you have to help students identify and pursue their passions?

Everyone always says, “follow the money,” and I want you to know that that’s BS. When you follow a career that lights you up, as long as you are making enough to take care of yourself, you are more effective and fulfilled. Figure out what you want your lifestyle to look like first, then decide what kind of career might help you create that. Your happiness is the number one priority. You are living a LIFE – not just a career. The career is only one piece.

That being said, your career is a HUGE part of your life, and you’ll spend a lot of your time there. So don’t settle on something that feels “tolerable.” Search for the thing that feels like fun and allows your unique skill set to flourish! 

The only reason people want careers that will make them lots of money is because they believe that will make them happier. But the truth of the matter is, if how you spend most of your time doesn’t fulfill you, you will spend more money doing things to try to make yourself happy and fill the void. 

As the semester comes to an end, many students are thinking about how to say goodbye to friends they love and an institution they treasure. Since you’ve been through it, what guidance do you have on going through that process?

Even though you’ll move on, grow, and change, everything that’s happened during your time at Chatham has played a huge role in making you who you are now. If we’re being real, the world is shrinking! We are so lucky because we have things now like Skype and cell phones, where we can always be in constant contact with one another. If you have a tight-knit group of friends, create a private Facebook group with each other so you don’t fall out of touch and can stay updated on each others’ successes, and continue to support each other in times of need. 

It’s a fact of life that you grow and change, and the friends you have now will do the same. That may mean that you’ll continue your friendship, but it might not. You have to get comfortable with that, and be excited about making new friendships and having new experiences!

What is one thing every Chatham student should do before they graduate?

Write down your vision for what your perfect day would look like. If you don’t know where to start, make writing in a journal or notebook once a day a new daily ritual for yourself to get clearer and clearer on what it would be. 

Want more coaching from Emily? Visit her website, EmilyCassel.com, to schedule an appointment! 
On April 14, join Emily at James Gallery from 5:45 to 9 p.m. for her Hippies In Heels April Sister Circle. Meditate, set intentions and get a laser coaching session. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased through Emily’s website.
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.