Kickass Feminist Poets We All Should Be Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Warsan Shire

Shire’s work become the backbone Beyonce’s Lemonade, and with good reason. She writes pieces with the overarching theme of feminine empowerment, through the lens of survival through heartbreak, divorce, and immigration.

For “Redemption” in Lemonade, she writes:

“Grandmother, the alchemist, you spun gold out of this hard life,

conjured beauty with things left behind. Found healing

where it did not live. Discovered the antidote in your own kit.

Broke the curse with your own two hands. You passed these

Instructions down to your daughter who then passed it down to

her daughter.

You can buy Teaching my Mother How to Give Birth here.

Andrea Gibson

Gibson also focuses on survival, but often through the lens of vivid discussion around working through and with mental health conditions. She also writes killer love poems.

In “I Sing the Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out”, she writes:

“I said to the sun

‘Tell me about the big bang’

The sun said

‘it hurts to become’

I carry that hurt on the tip of my tongue

And whisper bless your heart every chance I get

So my family tree can be sure I have not left

You do not have to leave to arrive

I am learning this slowly”

You can watch this poem performed aloud here and buy The Madness Vase here.

Jan Beatty

Jan Beatty is a Pittsburgh poet who has worked as a social worker and waitress. She draws from real-life experience for her poetry, making it incredibly rich and powerful.

Her poem “My Father Teaches Me to Dream” can be found here. Her book Red Sugar can be bought here.

Adrienne Rich

Adrienne Rich was one of the most iconic feminist poets and essayists of the 20th century. Her insights shaped many modern feminist movements. She even declined the National Medal of the Arts in protest of Newt Gingrich’s proposal to end funding for the National Endowment of the Arts.

She wrote: “When a woman tells the truth, she is creating the possibility for more truth around her.”

You can buy her collected poems here.

That girl wrapped in a blanket, carrying a mug of tea, headed to the library.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.