Kasey M. Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Kasey M. Jones

Year: Junior

What is your major, and why did you choose it?

I am a double major in English and Cultural Studies here at Chatham University. I chose English as a major because I love reading and writing, and those were my strongest classes in high school in which I excelled the most. I also love organizing my thoughts and writing in journals and keeping list of everything I do. I decided on Cultural Studies as a second major, because after taking African American Writers with Dr. Wardi I fell in love with learning more about my culture and the great writers, philosophers and artist within the African American community like Toni Morrison, Langston Hughes and Maya Angelou.

What’s your hometown and what do you love about it?

My hometown is Philadelphia and what I love most about Philadelphia includes my amazing family and church. It is because of my family and my church that I look forward to traveling home anytime. Also, Philadelphia has some of the greatest restaurants and boutiques that call for a full weekend of eating and shopping.

If you could assign everyone at Chatham one book to read, which one would you choose and why?

If I could assign everyone at Chatham one book to read, it would be Black Looks by Bell Hooks, because it is one of my favorite books as I finish my cultural studies requirements. Hooks makes us as readers aware of how we stereotype each other in society and how we play into the stereotypes that ultimately hurt us as individuals, families, communities and a society at large.

Suppose you can pick any musician or band to perform at your next birthday party. Who do you choose and why?

I would choose Drake or Kendrick Lamar, because they both are on top of their game musically and also because of course they both are HOT! But above all else both artists are striving to create a new lens for their very diverse audiences to view them as individuals, artists and as innovators. For both of these artists they have a commonalty which is “Actions speak louder than words,” and they move silently and then surprise the world with new partnerships, business dealings and a new way to interpret music.  

You have a friend coming to Pittsburgh for one day, and you can only take them to do one thing. Where do you go/what do you do and why?

I would take them to Ross Park Mall, because that mall is similar to Philadelphia’s King of Prussia Mall, or to the Incline in Mt. Washington to overlook the city of Pittsburgh.

Which TV character would you want to be your best friend and why?

I think Evelyn Lozada from Basketball Wives because she is a ball of fire and there would never be a dull moment with her, from the parties and shopping to hair and makeup.

Why did you choose Chatham?

I chose Chatham for the small class sizes and for the scholarly English professors.

What do you love most about being a Chatham woman?

I love having an amazing group of woman that love to learn, educate and travel the world.

What was your childhood dream job?

My childhood dream job was to become a model.

What’s your current dream job and why?

My current dream job is to become Speaker of the House for the United States Government to not only bring diversity to our government but to also have a voice for my community.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.